Chapala.com Webboard

Star Choice

Yelapa

Someone has offered me their Star Choice service, but looking back at old posts, it sounds like Star Choice no longer exists lakeside. I'm new here and becoming very confused about what cable and satellite TV options really exist here.

Same topic ... Is Telecable the only service that bundles television and internet?

Thanks!

We have used Shaw Direct for a few years now and are quite happy with it. We also use internet from Telmex and have for going on 9 years, its bundled with our phone service. I think I checked telecable for internet awhile ago as I had heard it was cheaper and they didn't offer it in our area (La Floresta). We had telecable tv service for awhile when we were trying to cut expenses. I hated it. Much in Spanish only and I am not fluent enough, and the networks seemed to go out on the weekends and no one around to fix it. Maybe things are better now?

We have used Shaw Direct for a few years now and are quite happy with it. We also use internet from Telmex and have for going on 9 years, its bundled with our phone service. I think I checked telecable for internet awhile ago as I had heard it was cheaper and they didn't offer it in our area (La Floresta). We had telecable tv service for awhile when we were trying to cut expenses. I hated it. Much in Spanish only and I am not fluent enough, and the networks seemed to go out on the weekends and no one around to fix it. Maybe things are better now?

Totally agree love our Star Choice (Shaw)

Hated Telecable.

We also have phone and internet from Telmex together.

• 3 weeks later...

We have decided to go a different direction with our media needs and have our Shaw HD Sat system available.

Dish is a 75E Model STAR75-ASC-001

Receiver is DSR505HD

and a Remote

Send me a PM if you are interested

Telmex does have a bundle with one of the Mexican sat services FYI.

Dish Mexico leases space at Telmex but they are not partners. Didn't the Mexican Supreme Court recently deny Carlos Slim the combining TV and communications?

Dish Mexico is awful for English. Star is better for English channels.

Telmex denies any connection with Dish other than assisting in selling their service (and having a common owner). I had DISH Mexico for well over a year. The price was good but the programming and service were poor. Trying to disconnect the service took nearly 4-5 months and Telmex refused to have any part in it even though signed me up.

I appear to be in the minority, but I am very pleased with Telecable. Their English language TV programming has expanded quite a bit and their fiber optic Internet consistently gives me the 8 Mbs I'm paying for. Reliability was a real problem with Telecable in the past but they seem to have solved most of those problems.

I agree with you that Telecable is the best of the Mexican local offerings. It has a lot more English channels and better programming.

People are signed up for Dish Mexico at the Telmex office but the two are not related anymore than Telmex is related to the HP products it sells.

http://www.economist.com/node/21546028

But one huge market eludes him. Under the terms of his Telmex concession, he forfeited the right to enter Mexico's pay-television business. So whereas América Móvil offers “triple play” packages of phone, internet and television nearly everywhere else in Latin America, in his biggest market Mr Slim is tuned out from TV.
For many years he has tried to chip away at this ban, just as his rivals have tried to loosen his grip on telephones. Neither has succeeded. Mexico's regulators have found it hard to enforce competition in either market thanks to a blizzard of writs. Between 2005 and 2010, the telecoms sector generated more than 260 applications for injunctions, judgments of annulment and judicial reviews, says a report published on January 30th by the OECD, a group of mainly rich countries which includes Mexico.

Telmex denies any connection with Dish other than assisting in selling their service (and having a common owner). I had DISH Mexico for well over a year. The price was good but the programming and service were poor. Trying to disconnect the service took nearly 4-5 months and Telmex refused to have any part in it even though signed me up.

I appear to be in the minority, but I am very pleased with Telecable. Their English language TV programming has expanded quite a bit and their fiber optic Internet consistently gives me the 8 Mbs I'm paying for. Reliability was a real problem with Telecable in the past but they seem to have solved most of those problems.

A few years back I had huge difficulties trying to cancel DISH , my US credit card company was no help

Archived