Chapala.com Webboard

Transito / Police meeting

The Lakeside Community Council met with a sub commandante of the Transito, Alberto Soto Juarez(The commandante is on vacation) and a sub director of the police, Moises Torres. We presented the below for discussion

Transito

La Floresta gates at Camino Real and Revolucion

East at carretera and libramento needs a left turn only painted in left lane and a sign for left turn with arrow

Weekends after 4 p;m; Sundays we need officers on the carretera – west of Ajijic with DWI equipment,at Colon and at the libramento

We need an office at the carretera and Revolucion Wednesdays for the tianguis

We need a do not enter sign westbound on Constitution at Revolucion

Enforcement of no parking at the malecon on weekends as well as other regs in village of Ajijic

Ajijic’s street arrows need rehabbing

For safety, traffic lights have to operate dependably

A petition was presented for handicap parking in Ajijic

Police

Federal Noise law enforcement – Hotel Real de Chapala, Club Nautica, Plaza Bouganvillas, El Bar,and Lower La Floresta end of Paseo de las Brisas

Transito reply

The officer took extensive notes

Transito and the police share responsibility for the areas with the gates. Since the Presidente has stated the gates were illegal and must come down, both will check with their respective chiefs and report back to the committee.

At the carretera and libramento the eastbound lane is not a turn only lane; just when the turn arrow is operating. Otherwise, drivers may continue east. Since the left turn arrow sign has been stolen, drivers can turn left at will on a green light. This also applies to other spots where the signs have been stolen. Anyone ticketed for turning can present the ticket to the commandante for cancellation.

Guadalajara has moved to give officers more weekend time off. Lakeside has been forced to follow suit. He will try to get a DWI unit posted west of Ajijic and more officers on the carretera Sundays after 4 p.m. He requested that we prepare petitions citing the needs and noting that with the many tourists in the area weekends more, not less, officers are needed here.

They have no support staff to do signs or arrows. Anyone can do it if they are willing.

We noted that recently a child was injured at the malecon and it took an hour to get an ambulance to him, due to blocked streets. We also advised him that our Delegado Hector Espana worked out with the commandante to paint the right side curbs of the malecon street yellow and paint signs on them warning of towing if parked there. He accepted that traffic flow was vital for safety at the malecon and will have his officer more vigilant.

He stated that traffic lights were under state control and perhaps another area for a petition to the state director.

Neither officer was empowered to install handicap parking. Both stated if the petition was submitted to the Chapala offices they would followup from their side.

Police reply

We presented a copy of the federal noise law and a resident from behind Plaza Bouganvilla reported that Mexican and expat residents of the area were united in opposition to the rave like events going on there and elsewhere. He said that when noise is beyond federal limits Chapala should be called 765-4444 or 765 4455 and the police will come and ask that people adjust levels. However, he noted that the federal law puts enforcement in the hands of environmental officers. Chapala’s officer is Montezuma (Chuma) Medina 765-5600

We advised the officer that free apps were available for any officers with the appropriate phone. We suggested that someone from our committee could help the officers install such apps so they could document noise levels in violation of the federal law

Dale Palfrey of the Guadalajara Reporter was present and may be able to give more details in her article.

The Chapala Security committee was also represented at the meeting. This is a citizens committee that by law advises the police.

As far as the noise business, you left out La Bodega, one of the worst. They really bombarded the neighborhood with sound on Saturday.

I have a sound meter with the correct A weighted scale. I would be happy to share it with the police or Sr. Medina.

Perhaps now a meeting with Sr. Medina is in order, Harry? I am thinking that a good first step would be for him, as the person in charge of noise enforcement, have a polite and informal conversation with all of the above AND La Bodega and let them know that complaints are being received and enforcement is going to follow. He's a good person to ask them for voluntary compliance as his official capacity gives his words much more weight than that of the neighbors.

This is all good information, thanks.

Exactly why I specifically mentioned Sr. Medina as the guy we should meet with. Did you not understand my post? I am suggesting to Harry that we work directly with him on these problem clubs. They are a different situation than the occasional noisy private party for which it appears the proper procedure is to call the cops.

These clubs are creating a noise nuisance week in, week out.

MC bodega is in a residential area, i cant believe that loud music would be allowed there.

So are many of the restaurants in Ajijic ..it would be a good question to ask, is there "zoning" for restaurants , then do they have to apply for a "music" permit...dream on

MC bodega is in a residential area, i cant believe that loud music would be allowed there.

Believe me, it is. The place is across the street from me.

You can put a restaurant anywhere you want here and then you can make a racket when your food is so poor that you have to turn it into a nightclub and make your living selling loud music and overpriced beer and wine. That's definitely a lot easier than running a real restaurant.

Zoning here is like everything else, who you know and who you pay.

It is encouraging that at least in Zopapan they actually are using this law to crack down on these places, according to reports in El Informador.

I view this like the restaurant smoking laws. It took a while but it eventually took hold.

The committee agreed to get a meeting with Chuma before the meeting ended as the next step. I'll add La Bodega. Perhaps you could log some dates, times, and levels for us to submit to him at this meeting. Perhaps other interested parties could do the same at other locations and the committee could submit them all as evidence that Chuma needs to act!

there was a party at club nautica Saturday night. but suddenly it stopped around 11.45 pm. is there a cut off point for loud music? in spain there is a limit till two am.is there one here? also will snr. medina need to be advised at the time , cant see him answering his phone late at night on weekends. what would the protocol be ?

Guest bennie2

MC, i dont care what their "reasons" are to have loud music. @ one time they only had a piano. now i do wonder if there is a "zoning law"- just curious. i'm getting that your street is not zoned for club music & they are paying someone off. is there anything you can do? i imagine this restaurant is a far cry from hotel reale/club nautico in power. maybe i am wrong. it would be interesting to ask hector these questions. there are some situations which cannot be changed & others that can. will the mexicans who live near you help? (mexicans have been complaining about noise more than you think, i hear even from younger people as well. they have sleepign children etc).

The committee agreed to get a meeting with Chuma before the meeting ended as the next step. I'll add La Bodega. Perhaps you could log some dates, times, and levels for us to submit to him at this meeting. Perhaps other interested parties could do the same at other locations and the committee could submit them all as evidence that Chuma needs to act!

That's good. My "representative" will be there with the details.

Sr. Chuma will have to be available to come out on weekend evenings after 8PM to witness and measure the noise level from these bars. I'm happy to help him or any of you with my sound level meter in measuring any of them, not just our particular nemesis. It might make sense to set some cell phones up too as a check on the meter in case the offenders try to question it.

As far as the noise business, you left out La Bodega, one of the worst. They really bombarded the neighborhood with sound on Saturday.

I have a sound meter with the correct A weighted scale. I would be happy to share it with the police or Sr. Medina.

Perhaps now a meeting with Sr. Medina is in order, Harry? I am thinking that a good first step would be for him, as the person in charge of noise enforcement, have a polite and informal conversation with all of the above AND La Bodega and let them know that complaints are being received and enforcement is going to follow. He's a good person to ask them for voluntary compliance as his official capacity gives his words much more weight than that of the neighbors.

This is all good information, thanks.

Thanks for the report, ChrisB, and the work needed to get it to the police and to us. Lots of good things there.

I can hardly wait to turn onto the libramiento without a flashing arrow, though. The conversation with the transito that stops me is going to be priceless.

Thanks for the report, ChrisB, and the work needed to get it to the police and to us. Lots of good things there.

I can hardly wait to turn onto the libramiento without a flashing arrow, though. The conversation with the transito that stops me is going to be priceless.

I think we should all carry a notarized copy letter from the Jeffe confirming this turn is OK

So, the MX law refers to "acoustic contamination" which is why it falls under the heading of "ecological". This is certainly a new concept here, but it is old hat in the US, which gives us a standard that MX can aspire to, given that loud music was developed there.

The zoning laws do not exactly apply because SOUND WAVES CAN AND DO CROSS ZONING BOUNDARIES!! If I live in a residential area, and the noise from a club in a nearby "business zone" is LOUD INSIDE MY OWN HOUSE, then the club owners need to keep THEIR sound pollution out of MY house!!! And all the other neighbors' as well!!

Since it seems that virtually no one here can grasp the concept of utilizing controls on sound equipment, the only real practical solution would be to require soundproofing of all venues that play loud music. That would be the win-win solution. They could have their loud noise, and the residents could have a normal amount of peace in their/our own homes.

Importing loud music technology without soundproofing is like importing a poison without an antidote! Importing the idea of packaged junk food necessitates municipal garbage pick up, etc.

MC, you gotta keep beating the drum for your own area (so to speak)! As any of you would have to do. I have my hands/ears full, living between El Barco and the Plaza B. and the other evento places nearby. My doctor told me I had "bad noise karma" when I had to get a prescription renewed for sleeping pills!

BIENVENIDOS A LA NUEVA ZONA DEL RUIDO EN AJIJIC!

Tercero Piso at the Plaza B is already advertising their next big event on June 14 from 8PM to 3AM.

Guest bennie2

ezpa i would be easier to read your comments if you didnt use the caps. a soundproofing law may take yrs to go through. the "shoulds" are meaningless.

Harry

What about San Antonio, there are two eventos in a residential area that reach 90 db, the music can start in the afternoon and go on past 11pm. There have been nights when it is still going on at 1:30a. Calling the Police is fine, however, they take forever to come out and then it gets turned down a little and then back up. This happens very often and the police going there has a very temporary result.. We need punitive action taken, repeat offenders fined, equipment confiscated, license revoked. .

Archived