Chapala.com Webboard

Question for Canadians Only... Would you live in the US if.....

valbogyo

If the US adds a new type of visa for foreign retirees with pension income, would you consider living there?

TomGates wrote that he was able to buy good insurance, in Washington State, that also covers them for emergencies at the best Guadalajara hospitals.

There are lots of warm, affordable places to live in the US.

Some of us may be able to obtain better Medical Insurance in the US than in Mexico. Then you could be a snow bird, still visiting Mexico... but spending time in the US as well.

Please do not respond with any political comments. This is just about the practical aspects of retiring to the US, now that it might be possible to obtain affordable healthcare..... and stay warm in the winter.

Just curious

I would not move to the States We used to do the 6 and 6 to Florida to avoid the cold winters but I was never comfortable driving around on my own and did not return there as a widow . I have never been afraid living here in Mexico.

Even in central Florida there were armed guards at the ATM's and couples avoided going out at night unless they were in groups..

If the US adds a new type of visa for foreign retirees with pension income, would you consider living there?

TomGates wrote that he was able to buy good insurance, in Washington State, that also covers them for emergencies at the best Guadalajara hospitals.

Some of us may be able to obtain better Medical Insurance in the US than in Mexico. Then you could be a snow bird, still visiting Mexico... but spending time in the US as well.

Please do not respond with any political comments. This is just about the practical aspects of retiring to the US, now that it might be possible to obtain affordable healthcare..... and stay warm in the winter.

Just curious

Just curious

Who is Tom Gates?

Living anywhere is what you make of it. I have spent much time in the US and have always been treated well. If Ihad to leave here, I think I would prefer the southern US to any spot in Canada. Not only the climate but Harper enrages me with his secretive govt and all the corruption in his party. He just recently had to chastize two of his party MPs and this on top of his senators cheating really disgusts me. What has happened to honour among our leaders? Unfortunately, it is not only in Canada as politicians the world wide act the same. One just has to accept things and hope for a change for the better.

Canada stopped their retirement category in 1996 - too many abuses. Adult children who were not supposed to work or run a business, did it anyways. Supposed to have private medical insurance, many did not and ran up substantial medical bills then returned to their original homes. Based on other jurisdictions, like New Zealand, if the U.S.A. started a retirement category the income requirement would be quite substantial. What kind of substantial? Under the investor category, Canada required an investment of $800,000 which was held for 5 years with no interest. That program has recently been cancelled, it was not gettting the targetted results. In view of all these problems, I doubt that the U.S. will ever allow a pension visa over 6 months for your typical middle class, "Mom & Pop" retirees. Another if, if the U.S.A. did try to attract the super rich retirees, it would not bother too much about Canada. Europe, Asia, South Asia, Latin America, and Africa would more than makeup the Canadian numbers. I wouldn't be surprised to see a major increase in international retirees to Mexico. But Mexico does not really seem to be interested in the retirement market either - they want skilled technical workers and business investors.

Tropical and sub-tropical works for me - the only tropical in the U.S. is Hawaii.

Every 4 years we have a major election, huge numbers of people swear "if so & so gets elected, I'm moving to Canada" (and it's about evenly balanced) so the Canadian gov gets all excited and plans for anywhere from 50-100K people to immigrate - they wait patiently and no one shows up? - not sure what to make of that, maybe a resounding NO?

Well..... the value of the loonie against the dollar is an issue, true.

That could change again. I know some savvy Canadian snow birds that have a US account where they keep enough to pay expenses a year or two ahead so they can weather these fluctuations.

For me, one of the reasons I did not consider the US for retirement was because I could not afford medical insurance. Now I see I could, find and afford some sort of policy. Then I could be warm and insured.

I love Canada, but it is just too cold and I can not see living in that weather for even 6 months. I am happy with Mexico, but I do worry about Insurance as I get older. I am already spending several thousand dollars a year, and I am only 57. It is hard to relax.

My next post will ask the question: how much do you need to sock away to be self insured in Mexico? If I keep worrying I am going to make myself sick!

Ok, this thread was a little marginal for this board although I understand the OP was trying to get a feel for Canada vs. the U.S. vs. Mexico for retirement. Let's keep the discussion to economics and climate and steer clear of politics. Thanks.

Valgal, please start a new thread with your next question.

Really can't see what this has to do with Ajijic/Chapala !

I think the intent of the OP is to evaluate retirement to the U.S. versus Mexico. This is a good question IMO. It seems that a goodly number of Canadians chose to winter in the U.S. in places like Arizona, south Texas and Florida. My brother lives in far eastern suburban Phoenix and last time I visited him we drove by a place that was very busy selling winter homes to Canadians, even to the point of flying the Canadian flag outside of their sales center.

There is a distinction here and that is between those who are snowbird retirees versus those who are full time resident retirees. For the latter, none of the places I listed above are very suitable, they are all hot as all get out in the summer. There really are very few places in the U.S. that come even close to the year-round moderate climate here, Southern California (frightfully expensive) is really about the only one.

At some point in your life, it gets difficult to commute back and forth over long distances as a retiree. The advantage to here is that you don't need to do so to avoid harsh climate during part of the year. The disadvantage we are finding Valgal has alluded to and that is the medical problem. As 70 year old people we can't get health insurance here. Medicare doesn't apply here and our medigap policy doesn't cover out of U.S. stuff. We just experienced an expensive and life threatening (due to medical malpractice by both a local doctor and hospital) situation with one of us that has left us a bit shaken and wondering about the long term viability of living here as we get older.

We've known more than a few people who have moved back north specifically because of the medical problem and we have already identified where we'd go if this becomes necessary.

Between Medicare taxes and medigap insurance cost, we're spending nearly $10K per year for insurance which doesn't cover us here. I look forward to the discussion around ValGal's next thread about what to do about medical and paying for it as we get older and less healthy.

Every 4 years we have a major election, huge numbers of people swear "if so & so gets elected, I'm moving to Canada" (and it's about evenly balanced) so the Canadian gov gets all excited and plans for anywhere from 50-100K people to immigrate - they wait patiently and no one shows up? - not sure what to make of that, maybe a resounding NO?

I researched the requirements for emigrating to Canada some years back. They're pretty strict. I imagine that squashes a lot of the 'move to Canada' plans (it did mine).

If the government of Canada were really excited about immigrants, I imagine they'd loosen the restrictions.

We decided to move out of Canada because of my health. I have Fibromyalgia and there isn't one place in Canada that would be beneficial for me, climate-wise, so that's when I went searching online and found the Lake Chapala area. We haven't been disappointed yet as the climate is awesome and our money goes farther.

If. as Canadians, we were permitted to immigrate to the US as easily as to Mexico and there was a climate as nice + a place where it wouldn't cost too much for housing + amenities, then possibly yes. There isn't such a place so we're very happy here. Hawaii might be ok but ouch, housing there is expensive.

Thanks, folks. I will start the new topic about self insurance. This really was meant to discuss the US vs Mexico in terms of affordable medical insurance and warm places to live. I think Canadians, such as Eagles, who really need a warm climate for health should be given the opportunity to live abroad and not lose their insurance. The winter weather in Canada and the Northern States really is brutal for those who are sensitive to cold. Thanks again for the feedback.

• 2 weeks later...

All the year round warm weather spots (without high humidity) in the US have been taken. Hang on to your turf at Lake Chapala. If Mexico ever cleans up its drug act, you'll have a gold mine.

All the year round warm weather spots (without high humidity) in the US have been taken. Hang on to your turf at Lake Chapala. If Mexico ever cleans up its drug act, you'll have a gold mine.

Not in our lifetime. :(

Archived