Chapala.com Webboard

Anyone measuring the DB levels tonight in Ajijic?

HarryB

MC is correct, in that La Bodega was a ordinary restaurant seven years ago when I moved to Ajijic. Fortunately, I don't live near enough to hear any noise.

It is one thing to go somewhere else and party; it's quite another when it's in your immediate neighborhood and there's no escape.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A lot of times the corny, backwater things of Lakeside are overwhelming - but also enchanting. The lack of enforcement of noise bylaws is not unique to Ajijic, but would be less likely to be tolerated in more populated areas. The general movement in Mexico is to solve noise pollution, especially recognising the very real effects to the environment, and documented health risks.

Ignorance is often at the root of "too loud" music - the DJ's/musicians are not experienced with the bass subwoofers. They adjust the bypass for "eventos", the so called bass beat for dancing, but do not adjust them down. So the next day, no matter how soft the music, it sounds boomey, and you can't hear the higher notes - so they turn it up. This is why the new meters are weighted - to take in account the fact that lower frequency bass travels much further. All new nightclubs today must include sound baffles and an engineered containment system. Puerto Vallarta has tough bylaws because they use it as a type of zoning device. The place grew so fast, with a limited tax base, they could not produce "proper" zoning bylaws. There is some slack in recognition of the ever dominant tourism industry. If often works that the Reglamentos send out an inspector, who gives a warning, but it is often met with empty promises. Often the place is warned that the inspectors are coming. So what Reglamentos does if a troublseome place applies for a lucrative event license - it is turned down. To operate without a license is a big deal fine.

As Maincoons states. "Looks like mostly businesses and the church around the square in San Antonio" Adeliteas is located right next church and I believe across from a school. And he obversely never goes to the square in San Antonio on a Friday or Saturday night because if he did he see the vendors set up there on a regular basis

and hear the music blasting away and watch the Mexican families enjoying themselves far after Adelita's is closed for the night.

I don't believe Adelita's has ever claimed to be a restaurant, the website and sign say Adelita's Bar & grill, but why let the facts get in the way of a good bitch.

Subject: DB Meter

Pete would you let our committee use it?

Of course Harry. I've been distracted by the Super Bowl. I had friends come over. I haven't looked that hard yet, but so far I haven't found it. I hope I can find it and once or if I do, again, of course you can use it.

If I can't find it, I will buy another one this Spring when I'm up North and bring it down with me, which, of course you can use.

As Maincoons states. "Looks like mostly businesses and the church around the square in San Antonio" Adeliteas is located right next church and I believe across from a school. And he obversely never goes to the square in San Antonio on a Friday or Saturday night because if he did he see the vendors set up there on a regular basis

and hear the music blasting away and watch the Mexican families enjoying themselves far after Adelita's is closed for the night.

I don't believe Adelita's has ever claimed to be a restaurant, the website and sign say Adelita's Bar & grill, but why let the facts get in the way of a good bitch.

Well, clearly Adelitas is spreading noise well beyond its immediate surroundings and creating a problem for the neighbors. I'll let those folks deal with that problem while we deal with ours and hopefully all of us will have a new tool to do so shortly.

I look forward to Harry and his group giving us some guidance on the matter.

Since we're talking decibel levels, I'll mention here what I did on the TOB, about a sign I saw hung up the other night. Some DJs are planning on trying to break the Guinness World Record for longest continuous live DJ set. They are promising us over 8 days of 24 hour continuous music. I'll let you guys do what you want with that information. Don't know how they are intending to get around the noise level laws on that one, though. Don't get me wrong. I like music. It generally doesn't bother me too much. My ex-husband was a DJ and I'd have to listen to hours of his practicing so I've learned to just tune things out. I'm quite flexible about noise. But 24 hours - 8+ days of continuous DJ music? Yeah, not too wild about this one.

One man's noise pollution is another man's musical anthem. Look at these lyrics, from AC/DC - not written by an old gringo, but an old geezer at least!

http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/acdc/rocknrollaintnoisepollution.html

As far as breaking records for the techno DJ sound, they could save a lot of money putting a microphone on a clothes dryer, and then putting in a brick - nobody would know the difference.

A couple of things:

I have 2 android sound level aps on my phone. I have a professional, self calibrating sound meter in the states and have compared it with the aps. Both aps are not very accurate, especially at the high and low ends of the loudness levels. So, please, if you are going to try to enforce the standard, use a professional meter.

The following is the standard from the OSHA (Occupational Safety and Health Administration) regulations regarding permissible sound levels at worksites in the USA.

1910.95(B)(2)

If the variations in noise level involve maxima at intervals of 1 second or less, it is to be considered continuous. TABLE G-16 - PERMISSIBLE NOISE EXPOSURES (1)

|

Duration per day, hours | Sound level dBA slow response

____________________________|_________________________________

|

8...........................| 90

6...........................| 92

4...........................| 95

3...........................| 97

2...........................| 100

1 1/2 ......................| 102

1...........................| 105

1/2 ........................| 110

1/4 or less................| 115

Notice that at the higher levels that we are seeing, the allowable time to be exposed to the noise is quite short. Longer exposures will affect your hearing level. So if you are going somewhere for dinner, it is in the interest of your hearing health to have them keep the sound level reasonable. What the "one gringo" is requesting is in everyone's best interest.

There has been research that high sound levels of sound will mask pain. If you take a good set of earphones to the dentist and turn your favorite music very loud, he won't need novocain. When I was having physical therapy, listening to a loud Russian symphony gave me more relief than a percoset! So a lot of these people like the loud music because it to some extent shuts down their brain!

If you go to a symphonic music concert, the audience is polite and silent. You can hear soft music quite clearly. But when you go to a restaurant or rock concert, people believe they should try to converse over the entertainers (RUDE). So the band turns the music up. So the audience talks louder, pretty soon the people are yelling as loudly as they can. But the big amps of the band gets turned up louder than they cam scream. Then you can hear it a quarter mile away. Perhaps the answer is to ban talking while entertainers are performing! (Tongue in cheek)____________________________|________________________________

Saege - where is Lacondona's party tent?

In years past, their tent has been on the right side near where the bathrooms are. If you were looking at the entrance to the pools, instead of going into the pool area, you would go to the right down to that next corner. The ice rink was near it last year.

In years past, their tent has been on the right side near where the bathrooms are. If you were looking at the entrance to the pools, instead of going into the pool area, you would go to the right down to that next corner. The ice rink was near it last year.

You're talking about Chapala, right?

I wish people who do not know what they are talking about would stop bloviating here! I live 2 blocks from Adelitas and am a regular customer there. If I stand outside in my yard, when the wind is blowing just right I hear a faint melody on some occasions from there. Like someone else said, Mike or whoever is leading the band will occasionally ask the crowd if the music is too loud and will be greeted by a chorus of "Noooooo's". 90% of the help there IS Mexican and on most weekends the crowd might be 50% Mexican. Many Mexicans are great aficionados of R & B, Blues, and early Rock and Roll...who does not love Little Richard and Elvis! I walk around this town (San Antonio) every day and talk to my neighbors (mostly Mexican) and gossip about everything, and not one peep about the noise there. Talk about noise...you should be here in June during the Fiesta for ten days with the booming Banda music till 3 am and the bombs bursting in air day and night (most notably at 6am). I am sure there are noise problembs in some areas Lakeside but you are barking up the wrong tree here (pun intended).

Well then, they should have no problem when someone stands out front with a db meter and makes measurements. Given their location, they could probably claim to be covered by the commercial standard as opposed to the residential one.

If I were the owner of one of these places which constantly seems to come up when excessive noise is discussed, I'd make my own measurements and make sure I was in compliance with the new law passed by MEXICANS for the benefit of MEXICANS who are fed up with excessive noise.

And if I were a friend or patron I would encourage them to do so and offer to assist. I'll extend the offer of the use of my SPL meter, which has the required A weighted scale, to any of you who would like to help your favorite club check compliance. We'd all rather see this accomplished voluntarily rather than having to bring in the authorities.

If one thinks that denial or attacking neighbors who complain about noise is going to suffice for compliance with the new law, one might want to consider the experience of the very few local establishments who chose to ignore the smoking rules. It appears that the few holdouts have found out the hard way that the MEXICANS meant business with their smoking law.

Just don't be surprised if the very few local establishments who continue to annoy their neighbors with loud late night music end up having a similar experience. It may take a while like it did with the smoking regulations, but I sure wouldn't count on them continuing to get away with it indefinitely.

Harry

The sound level app was set to A saturday night when it hit over 112db. All of you who are saying its all gringos complaining should get a grip, the mexican goverment not the gringos made this law.

Where did you measure that?

I'm not clear from reading the new law where the measurements should be taken. From the standpoint of the neighbors, the concern would seem to be how loud the venue is from outside. But at what point outside from the venue should the measurement be taken? The sidewalk in front? The middle of the street?

Archived