Chapala.com Webboard

Chiapas Tour

i wish I could go but I cant... I had an amazing time in Chiapas...... the bucket list should include: visiting the parque nacional lagunas de Montebello (out of this world) they have log boats and the tour guides take you out for around 150 pesos.

also the piramides de Palenque...

on the way to the parquet nacional you will be amazed that the small communities clean all the trash on the roads.....

there is also come 3 little bear cabins in small towns on the way to the parquet nacional... I did not stay there but if I remember correctly they charge 150 pesos per night

The best way and cheapest way to go to Chiapas id to fly Volaris or Vivaaerobus and take public transportation once there. The bus trips are around 18 hours grueling and boring. Chiapas can be a very inexpensive place to visit if you are on a budget, You can find hotels at 100 pesos per person per day th shared vans or taxis are very cheap. Better spend the money on good guides to take you around the ruins and the indifenous communities.

If you plan your flights ahead of time you can go there in two hours for 2000 pesos as long as you travel light.

I live in Chiapas half of the year and I fly whenever it is possible, the bus rides are a pain.

Second the motion for flying, and right now Volaris has very good fares from Guadalajara to Tuxtla Gutiérrez, Chiapas. Interjet also flies that route, but at the moment Volaris's fares are better.

The best way and cheapest way to go to Chiapas id to fly Volaris or Vivaaerobus and take public transportation once there. The bus trips are around 18 hours grueling and boring. Chiapas can be a very inexpensive place to visit if you are on a budget, You can find hotels at 100 pesos per person per day th shared vans or taxis are very cheap. Better spend the money on good guides to take you around the ruins and the indifenous communities.

If you plan your flights ahead of time you can go there in two hours for 2000 pesos as long as you travel light.

I live in Chiapas half of the year and I fly whenever it is possible, the bus rides are a pain.

Can you give a tour????

13,000 pesos and I see from looking at the itinerary on the link that Travis supplied that only 4 nights are actually spent in Chiapas!

You can fly to Tuxtla Guiterrez on Vivaaerobus for well under $200 round trip with a guidebook in hand and see an enormous amount, hiring local tour guides in San Cristobal de las Casas or going on tours there with locals very easily. Beats the heck out of spending most of your time on a bus and/or in places very easy to get to from here (check the itinerary).

I would second Kevin, you can get a lot for 13000 pesos in Chiapas and if you go there hire the guide Alex he is great. If you spend 3000 pesos on the plane that leaves you 2500 per day/night, that is a nice amount if you take public transportation.

Anyone interested in what you can see and do in Chiapas can check out my photo-journal blog series on our trip there last year. We flew Aeromexico, not one of the cheaper ones, because we like the convenience of multiple scheduled flights in a day. However, Volaris or the other low-fare alternatives will get you there. Chiapas is fairly inexpensive and it really is Disney Land for adults. Inexpensive local tours are widely available once you get there. The San Cristobal de las Casas is easily walked and cab fare are cheap to outlying areas.

Here is the link to my blog series: http://cookjmex.blogspot.mx/2013/05/chiapas-part-1-san-cristobal-de-las.html

It starts with Part one on San Cristobal de las Casas. When you get to the bottom of the page, just click "newer post" and it will take you to Part two, and so forth.

Anyone interested in what you can see and do in Chiapas can check out my photo-journal blog series on our trip there last year. We flew Aeromexico, not one of the cheaper ones, because we like the convenience of multiple scheduled flights in a day. However, Volaris or the other low-fare alternatives will get you there. Chiapas is fairly inexpensive and it really is Disney Land for adults. Inexpensive local tours are widely available once you get there. The San Cristobal de las Casas is easily walked and cab fare are cheap to outlying areas.

Here is the link to my blog series: http://cookjmex.blogspot.mx/2013/05/chiapas-part-1-san-cristobal-de-las.html

It starts with Part one on San Cristobal de las Casas. When you get to the bottom of the page, just click "newer post" and it will take you to Part two, and so forth.

What a comment--Disneyland for adults! I agree with bmh, if that's what you saw, you really did not get it. Disneyland is make-believe, designed to lull you into complacency. Chiapas is the full reality of life in Mexico today.

While the Disneyland analogy wasn't well-chosen, anyone who bothers to actually click on jnc's link and look at their blog will quickly find themselves spending time on the most in-depth travel and discovery blog about México I've ever seen. Jim and Carole are anything but typical tourists, and their blog is an education in - and celebration of - the rich culture and history of this country. It's such a great resource that I make a point of reading their posts about an area before visiting it, and find that I always benefit greatly.

While the Disneyland analogy wasn't well-chosen, anyone who bothers to actually click on jnc's link and look at their blog will quickly find themselves spending time on the most in-depth travel and discovery blog about México I've ever seen. Jim and Carole are anything but typical tourists, and their blog is an education in - and celebration of - the rich culture and history of this country. It's such a great resource that I make a point of reading their posts about an area before visiting it, and find that I always benefit greatly.

I totally agree Kevin K,Jim and Carol's blog on traveling in Mexico is one of the best I've come across and I've benefited from it many times while doing preparatory research for our family's trips in Mexico.

I've just never thought of Chiapas as being particularly representative of Mexico as a whole,when I first visited there 35 years ago it reminded me more of Guatemala than Mexico.

Maybe I just don't understand what you mean by the "full reality of life in Mexico today".

Ah...okay. What I mean is a full range of socio-economic levels, life from very urban to very rural, a broad range of geography from mountainous to flatlands, wealth to poverty, various spoken languages, politics of every stripe, various education levels, etc. The full range of what Mexico experiences, from the sublime to the really awful. That criteria might be different from what you meant.

Ah...okay. What I mean is a full range of socio-economic levels, life from very urban to very rural, a broad range of geography from mountainous to flatlands, climate from hot/dry to cold/damp, wealth to poverty, various spoken languages, politics of every stripe, various education levels, etc. The full range of what Mexico experiences, from the sublime to the really awful. That criteria might be different from what you meant.

Archived