Chapala.com Webboard

Fireplace problem - what and who could help?

solajijic

We have a gas fireplace with big logs and glowing embers. The tenant has said that there has been some occasions of smoke in the house. After looking at it the first time everyone thought it had been the mantle decorations but it is not. There is a clear pattern of smoke across the front of the mantle. We have always had fireplaces here but they are wood burning. When a soot pattern like this has happened in the past our wood burning fires have been really large and going out the opening which is my husbands pyro tendencies. I understand this making the soot with wood fires but the gaz shouldn't make soot. I don't think.

What is happening with the gaz fireplace to cause the soot.

Who Could come fix this?

aa7q6h.jpg

What do the flames look like? Blue, or orange? A clean burning flame is primarily blue, a bit of yellow / orange is OK, this is part of the challenge in making gas log flames look both real and appealing.

The gas orifice may need to be checked / changed; many of them are setup for sea level; we see this @ lakeside often in gas dryers, stoves, and fireplace log sets.

True. You may need to adjust the air-gas mix. It will also help if you move the grate and logs as far back as possible, against the back wall of the fireplace, to help create good draft. To further increase draft, be sure that the room has an outside source of air.

Good info. We checked and the chimney is not blocked. Go Solar, what do you mean by "we see this often" because if your business knows who can check this out for me I would appreciate contact information.

before we had gas logs we had an $%&/() tenant light the gas pipe and turn the gas up, lucky he didn't blow the house up. Could they have done this for more heat? Sounds like your flu is clogged.

we have 2 fp like yours, the little shop one block north on colon is very good, they speak english pretty well, Chris (I think thats his name) came when he was supposed to and checked both over, replaced the one pipe, and was very reasonable (although we did not have soot issues he did talk about that problem with some fp in the area.

Good luck!

The answer is in the post: One block north of the carretera on Colon. So go there and look; I am sure it will be there, on one side of the street or another. If you do not see it, just ask someone in that neighborhood.

Good info. We checked and the chimney is not blocked. Go Solar, what do you mean by "we see this often" because if your business knows who can check this out for me I would appreciate contact information.

I meant to mention that we see it also in a lot of the water heaters we connect into, particularly tankless styles, though that has improved a lot over the past few years; lakeside and Guad now seem to get stock that is suited for the altitude.

I'd go with the recommendations given by the other posters for a service person. Buena suerte.

one block north of the carretera on the right side of Colon, you will see it, there are a lot of appliances etc, that they are either repairing or have for sale, we just walked there on a recommendation from someone else and it worked out well.....so I hope they can help you too

Gas produce co2 emissions and the soot yuo are seen can harm you, make sure the house is not totaly close so the chimeney can breathe if that dont help and the chimeney has no obstruccions then you need to make your chimeney vent higher. The chimeney vent has to get hot to create a current of air so it can push the smoke out and if the vent is not high enough out side air is going to push down the smoke.

Archived