Chapala.com Webboard

TV purchase - Walmart service?

Hola! I am thinking of buying a TV at Walmart. I am wondering if anyone has done this and if so what the experience was like. Does Walmart deliver? Will they set the TV up? What sort of warranty is available? Can I expect any sort of after sales service? My Spanish is far short of being able to ask these questions so I would very much appreciate any and all input/advice etc. Man thanks as usual. :-)

Generally, you buy it and take it home yourself. Installation is up to you. There will be a manufacturers warranty included, but keep your receipt, as the store may offer something like a 30 day warranty, in case you get a dud. Walmart does not have service technicians, they are a big box store. If you want a full service experience, talk to people like Tio Sam or the Sony store on Guadalupe in Guadalajara, but most will require you to take your problem to them. In home service would be by private, local tecnicos at your expense.

We just bought an ATVIO 32" TV for our casita from Walmart. We did some research before buying, and nearly all the feedback was positive.

It is the Walmart brand, made in Mexico (?) or somewhere across the seas, originally. Paid around $3300 pesos for it. It's not the "smartest", but smart enough with all manner of plugs and options available. Very nice picture if you get the right cable for high def.

There are people around town who will do the hookup for a fee. Not Walmart. It's light enough that we just took it home in the car, and the resident techie hooked it up himself.

The catch: the manual is all in Spanish, but the language in the on-screen setup and control can be changed to English, and the remote page in the manual can be copied and put into one of the translation services on the web.

They gave a 2 year warranty on it. Such a deal. We hope.

We recently bought at Bodega and the return to store guarantee is something like 7-10 days. After that you deal with an authorized service rep .... probably in Guad. The main guarantee was 1 year. Not sure if you buy extra coverage

We recently bought at Bodega and the return to store guarantee is something like 7-10 days. After that you deal with an authorized service rep .... probably in Guad. The main guarantee was 1 year. Not sure if you buy extra coverage

It probably depends on the brand, too. Since ATVIO is the Walmart house brand, the prices are usually lower than competing brands and they may be more generous in the warranty.

They will deliver for a fee. There is a great guy who works in the TV/computer department who speaks English. Berto, I think. He is there most days. Except on the day you go in, probably. I concur with Sparks, too.

Gilberto is the young man who speaks English. He will help you in anyway possible and is a thoroughly nice young family man.

WE bought our second tv at Walmart, did our own hookup and called the local techies for the other one, but no problem so far. One is LG and one is Sony...both working good....with no issues whatsoever. Good to know about Berto/Gilberto in Walmart..we recently had to buy various cords and had good service tho we speak poor Spanish!

We also just bought an Ativio DVD, very cheap, and even has a USB port! Good Luck.....

Eric, coupla years ago I bought a 51" at the WalMart here. One of the guys helped me get it into the car, but when I got home, the whole thing is actually pretty light compared to the old days. I got it in and set up no probs. You have to secure the base to the monitor, because they are packed separately.

Mostly what you want in a set is enough hook ups in the back for your gear. Some sets come with more HDMI and other jacks; the same TV brand has different levels of build for the same size screen. WalMart tends to carry the stuff that gives them the best price so in fact I, who have always been an AV nutter, now have a set with not enough inputs for all my stuff. I actually have to physically move my HDMI cable from my BluRay player to my Roku to watch that. (I figure there is an A/B box out there somewhere with my name on it, but I haven't bothered looking yet... Roku ain't that great a toy for me, since I don't watch NetFlix or Hulu and the others.) Just check out your own gear and which connections you need, then see what's on the back of the TV you are interested in.

Ok, so bit the bullet. I found Berto at Walmart and Managed to get most of my questions answered. Am now the owner of a Samsung 46" "smarter than I am" HD, LED, 1080, PhD, you name it, it has it TV. It will stay in the box until our stand is delivered. Thanks for all the feedback. Computerguy, I was with you until the BluRay/Roku bit. After that, ya might as well have been speaking Swahili, but thanks anyway. Wish me luck with setting it up.

• 1 year later...

Looking at the 55" Atvio "4K" TV on sale at WalMart this week for $8000, down from $10,000. Don't think I can find a comparable price anywhere for any TV brand up north. ($550 U.S!) But I cannot find anything online about the company, or comments from buyers on quality, longevity, etc.

It's still too early to get into the 4K game, but at the store it sure has a nice picture. You can put your nose on the screen almost and it's still sharp. Get anywhere near a plasma or non-4K set and it fuzzes out completely. Anyone have any idea who makes them? They are definitely WalMart's instore brand.

Bought a small Ativo tv about 2 years ago. Unfortunately, the controls were left next to the tv and got some direct sunlight for a short period of time. The controls no longer work and you cannot buy a Universal remote for an Ativo. I tried calling the 800 always busy, sent an email and it was returned with the incorrect mailing address. Both the phone number and the email address are listed in the product catalog.

Look at all the Universal Remotes, Ativo is not listed.

Bought a small Ativo tv about 2 years ago. Unfortunately, the controls were left next to the tv and got some direct sunlight for a short period of time. The controls no longer work and you cannot buy a Universal remote for an Ativo. I tried calling the 800 always busy, sent an email and it was returned with the incorrect mailing address. Both the phone number and the email address are listed in the product catalog.

Look at all the Universal Remotes, Ativo is not listed.

Not sure when you say "left next to the TV". Do you mean the remote control was left beside the TV, or do you mean the buttons on the left edge of the TV? If you can still use the remote, then you would want to buy a "learning remote", which will read your own remote in a few steps and repeat the original commands.

When I recently bought laptops at Walmart they came with a one year guarantee, but only ONE WEEK in-store. After that you had to ship them or take them elsewhere. This would be worth asking about for the TV sets too.

You can purchase directly from Wal-Mart an in store warranty where you deal directly with Wal-Mart and not the manufacturer.

Archived