Chapala.com Webboard

Vehicle Navigation Systems

jb46

Do you have a smart phone? Google has a GPS--free--that gives you maps, written directions, and voice directions. We have found it to be far, far, FAR better than the Garmin we used to use. Did I say FAR better? Yes, truly.

Can you buy a Garmin at Best Buy in Guadalajara? A car dealer told me BB was the best place to buy a GPS for a vehicle but I wonder if they carry Garmin.

Can you buy a Garmin at Best Buy in Guadalajara? A car dealer told me BB was the best place to buy a GPS for a vehicle but I wonder if they carry Garmin.

http://www.bestbuy.com.mx/auto-y-gps/sistemas-de-navegacion-gps.html

I think garmin is great as well. My new, Mexican purchased vehicle, came with navigation. Its made by Tom Tom. I have used it only once, in Guadalajara so far and it worked very well. I have also used GPS on my android smart phone. If you are driving alone, the larger screen on the navigation devices works better.... in my opinion. The map has to be large enough and the screen placed where you can see it while also watching the road.

Good luck with your purchase!

Garmin would be my choice. For Mexico no one has perfect maps as one-way streets keep changing, new streets added frequently and streets change name from one block to the next but overall worth having. Often one can find used for a low price. Be sure to have latest maps.

My brother in law (one of them) is an assistant/driver for a gut that owns a distributorship of mexican wines. They use TomTom and say garmin is really bad, but that can depend on what part of mexico you are in. I know also on cell phones the sytems that use tomtom maps, like sygic for example, have better coverage. Again, that probably depends on where you are.

I use Garmin, love it. You have to update them often, free NAmerica updates is a bonus. I have used Tom Tom, they are good, more features but IMHO harder to use.

Did I mention updating maps often? Even when brand new, the software is not up to date. The reason I don't use a smartphone gps is too many areas in Mx with no cell signal.

I like the Guia Roji GPS. Works everywhere in Mexico and is very portable and available in many retail outlets - and it doesn't speak to you.

If you go to Garmin's website and do a search for the proper unit that has US, Mexico and Canada maps preloaded, and has a lifetime map feature, it will give you the various models. I have the Nuvi 2460LMT.

How do these GPS systems that operate on cell phones work? Are you using minutes when using the GPS feature?

These days, the phones are a lot smarter than me. :(

You are using your data allotment, not telephone minutes. However, you can buy an unlimited GPS package for like $1.99/day that will be very helpful for occasional use. At least, we can do this on our Verizon phone which has a limited data plan. (But I think you need a smart phone to really take advantage of the GPS.)

PS - We love our Garmins that we use 100% of the time but we are NOB.

Archived