Chapala.com Webboard

From Canada to Mexico with a cargo trailer

eagles100

Travelling via vehicle and a small cargo trailer, do you need to stop at weigh stations?

Towing amount will be under 2,500 lbs.

We might end up being a bit overloaded. What could happen as far as road police? have to remove excess or pay fines?

Any tips travelling safely with a cargo trailer with household goods would be appreciated.

We know to stick to the quota roads and not travel at night.

Gracias

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We pulled a trailer from Arizona with household goods as well. Not required to stop at weigh stations, nor were we stopped on the roads by any type of road police. You need to be sure to have your listing of boxes and contents of the boxes with you. If you get a green light, just drive thru customs at the border. Tolls are per axle.

No need to stop at weigh stations, nor other worries. Just be sure the trailer has good tires and that its brakes are opperating correctly; and that you know how to use trailer brakes with a heavy load. You certainly do not want it to get out of control.

Once in Mexico, the trailer and the car become a unit on the Importada Temporal. As such, you cannot sell the trailer in Mexico, nor can you drive the car out of Mexico without the trailer attached. Be sure you know these facts. When you reach the 4th year of your temporary residence permit, both the car and trailer will have to be returned to Canada before you become permanent residents; so, plan ahead.

.... nor can you drive the car out of Mexico without the trailer attached.

Not correct. You can drive your car in/out of Mexico as many times as you like without the trailer attached. The only time you need the trailer with you is on the final trip out of Mexico when you are cancelling that TIP. Banjercito will not cancel a TIP until it expires OR until everything that is on the TIP is presented to them (all VINs match).

Make a written list of the trailer contents for use when entering MX, each item should also be translated into Spanish of course.

Total value in US $ as well (not necessary to itemize values). Use low used values; they generally will accept your figure.

And as mentioned, know how to drive on the steep hills and use those trailer brakes.

Crossing into the US, don't have a padlock on the trailer when you get to the border. They need open access and will get quite upset if it is locked.

Buena suerte.

I should have also noted that we are fully manifesting the load in an Excel spreadsheet and will print 3 copies of such.

These are the headings:

# CAJA / Box #

DESCRIPCION (español)

Description (English)

MARCA / Brand

MODELO / Model

No. de SERIE / Serial No.

VALOR / Value

Gracias for all your comments and private messages.

Hubby got through US Customs just fine. They asked a bunch of questions, asked to see Immigration documents (we have communicated with the Mexican Consulate in Montreal many times though we haven't actually applied for our Visas yet but we have been told what status we will get once we do), showed the deed to our house and Customs has a dog sniff the SUV and trailer. Everything was fine and he was able to go through. We'll see how it goes at Aduanas.

Weigh stations, that's funny, though I know the question was sincere. If there were weigh stations, 3 kilometers of traffic wouldn't get backed up behind a doble semi-remolque that can only climb hills at 20 kms/hr. because it's carrying 3 times the weight the engine was designed for.

Ok so here's the lowdown on hubby's trip from the border to the hotel.
He crossed at Bridge 2 in Laredo. No duties to pay, just his Tourist Visa.
There was a check-point about 10-15 minutes into Mexico and he had to pay 276 pesos ($22 CDN), Yipppeeee.
He was stopped by the Federales (Federal Police) and the army; both checked a few things and sent him on his way.
He's at the Las Palmas hotel now in Matehuala, had a good dinner and relaxing.

Tomorrow Lakeside :)

That is really wonderful that he has made it there. He is only hours away from his destination. Its great to hear stories like this. There are more smooth sailing type trips experienced by people. but we tend to just hear about the negative.

UPDATE

A Federale stopped hubby somewhere between Matehuala and Guadalajara.

They said he was speeding and he wasn't at all.

The Federale wanted 4,000 pesos. My husband told them he wasn't speeding.

When all was done, the Federale ended up with our Blu-Ray player and a DVD.

My husband plans on contacting Spenser to look at putting in a complaint; we'll see about that.

He's now at our casa and very glad to be there after 8 days on the road.

Just like police in the USA, Mexican police will take your plates as leverage, under the principle of forcing us to do what they want.

Many US police and Mexican police keep screwdrivers at the ready to take our plates to possibly punish us later if we decide to drive off during the roadside stop.

Cops argue that they do it as a deterrent, but their actions say "leverage" and ______ .

I know it is done routinely in Mexico (transitory dont carry gun but all carry screw drivers) however I have NEVER seen or heard of it being done in the United States. Not many who drive off get away......... with plates or without.

DMV statistics show 0% who attempt escape are not caught

I know it is done routinely in Mexico (transitory dont carry gun but all carry screw drivers) however I have NEVER seen or heard of it being done in the United States. Not many who drive off get away......... with plates or without.

DMV statistics show 0% who attempt escape are not caught

We've had it done twice in the USA. They have done it to my brother and his wife also. Where did you live in the USA?

Many cops out West treat native americans differently than wasichus. Like DWB charges, most Americans never face them.

One thing about the Blu-Ray player. My husband told the Federale that it was less than 1 year old; in fact, it was about 5 years old.

My hubby did that so he would choose that Blu-Ray player instead of our newer one so it wasn't a total loss. LOL He tricked them.

I still think we got off easy. It might have cost us about $100-$150 total to replace the Blu-Ray player, the DVD and the 276 pesos duty he paid at the check-point 15 minutes after the border. We didn't hire a custom broker and only had a Tourist Visa.

The licence plate is still a major issue because he has to bring the SUV and trailer back to Canada so I'm going to have to get a new one from DMV and ship it to a friend's mailbox service before his trip back north.

One thing about the Blu-Ray player. My husband told the Federale that it was less than 1 year old; in fact, it was about 5 years old.

My hubby did that so he would choose that Blu-Ray player instead of our newer one so it wasn't a total loss. LOL He tricked them.

I still think we got off easy. It might have cost us about $100-$150 total to replace the Blu-Ray player, the DVD and the 276 pesos duty he paid at the check-point 15 minutes after the border. We didn't hire a custom broker and only had a Tourist Visa.

The licence plate is still a major issue because he has to bring the SUV and trailer back to Canada so I'm going to have to get a new one from DMV and ship it to a friend's mailbox service before his trip back north.

Car-ma ? Live by the sword, die by the sword?

You trick "them" at the border by lying, "They" trick you nearer to home by stealing. Is the karma score "even" ? :D

Who said anything about lying at the border?

We are bringing in our personal effects just as anyone would except we didn't have our Visas yet. We have proof we have communicated with the Consulate and are pre-approved. We have the deed to our house and more documents.

There were no issues at the border, not with Aduanas and not with us. They understood what the purpose of the import was.

The Federale police stopped my husband for no reason except a bribe.

Who said anything about lying at the border?

We are bringing in our personal effects just as anyone would except we didn't have our Visas yet. We have proof we have communicated with the Consulate and are pre-approved. We have the deed to our house and more documents.

There were no issues at the border, not with Aduanas and not with us. They understood what the purpose of the import was.

The Federale police stopped by husband for no reason except a bribe.

You wrote that you husband tricked Aduana by intentionally telling them false information about the Blu-Ray player.

Intentionally tricking government officials by telling intentional falsehoods is honest and honorable ? ;)

Your husband chose to intentionally cheat the Mexican government out of paying the correct duties, the Mexican policeman chose to cheat you by stealing your license plate. Are the two choices different from each other?

Snowyco, I think you should reread what I wrote.

A Federale is not a Customs agent. My husband didn't tell anything to Aduanas (Customs) about the Blu-Ray player, at all.

The only time there was a discussion about the Blu-Ray player was with the crooked Federale (Federal police) who wanted a bribe.

Now I get it.

Your husband lied to the FEDERALE.

That changes everything. It's clear that lying to Federal police is much more honorable than lying to Customs.

i apologize for misunderstanding who your husband lied to.

Since I am not a liar, I get confused over which ones are honorable lies and which ones are

deceitful lies.

:blink:

Archived