Chapala.com Webboard

1887-Getting to Chapala

CWB

One year on Dia de los Muertos, I discovered Dand Chandos' grave in the Ajijic Cemetary. All the other graves were covered in flowers, and decorations, but there is a corner of the cemetary which has gringo graves, including his, which had no flowers. I put a large bunch of flowers on his grave, and each year made sure to put flowers on his grave. No one remembers him??? And the other gringos in that corner of the cemetary??? Sad, how a renowned author lies forgotten.

We visit "Dane Chando's" grave a couple times a year (we used to live near the Ajijic cemetery). Thank you, exHawaiian, for your kindness to this man who wrote about his love for this place. I think that I read somewhere that he was originally buried in Guadalajara but was transferred to the Ajijic cemetery--perhaps when his dad died the next year (?).

The Nuevo Pasado has redecorated their inside seating area and are using all black & white prints of old Ajijic on their walls.

There was one large print I asked Michael Eager about and he said it was the town square in Ajijic. There was a big well in the center with people filling up their containers of water. That is where the gazebo is today.

maw

• 3 weeks later...

I finally gave up on the book that I had been reading for what seemed like months! I've had "Village In The Sun" on my Kindle for a few months and finally decided to give it a try. I'm only a few pages in and I am really enjoying it. Two thumbs up---well, so far.

"Village In The Sun" is available as a free epub in a few different places online. The copy is a little rough but not particularly unpleasant nor unmanageable and the price is just right.

George

M.F.K Fisher, "Among the Pots & Pans."

M.F.K. Fisher Among the Pots and Pans is a biographical work, written by Joan Reardon, a culinary author. It's about M.F.K. Fisher's various kitchens.

Right now there are several copies of Village in the Sun for sale on eBay. One is currently at about $10.00USD, while others are priced at $100USD or more. There's even one purportedly signed by 'Dane Chandos'--and dedicated to Elsa Schiaparelli!

Bought 2 copies (One as a present) of a book entitled Estampas de Chapala, Vol. 1, by Manuel Galindo Gaitan. Purchased in Guad last Nov., can't remember the name of the bookstore, but I don't believe they had other copies.

A good history (In Spanish) intro and many pictures of the area, beaches of Chapala covered with tourists (Covered with oil), train station with a train in front, the malecon underwater, large fishing boats and much more.

I need to use the images presented in the link on this thread. I am not savvy enough to capture them from where they are now. Any suggestions of a source where I can get them as individual jpgs or pdfs?

Archived