Chapala.com Webboard

LCS and its future

When we visited, the LCS was busy but not too crazy. Perhaps, considering the historical nature of the site and also considering the hard financial climate we and they are suffering it might be a simpler arrangement to use some of the grounds for the parking lot. I am sure it could be arranged in such away as to retain some of it's old charm. Maybe one or more of your members has some technical ability in the redesign of landscape. Selling the site and moving all its equipment and memorabilia would be an expensive and difficult move.

I know people have different opinions but the turn part of LCS into a parking lot just isn't going to happen. If it did most of us would

resign. People first in a village and cars second is my opinion.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll have him do it again, but my husband has volunteered at least twice to work in the library, and would love to do it, but no one has ever even responded to him.

If you want a different job. Try the magazine/booksales room. Two hour shifts 10am til noon. Any day except Thursday available. Great way

to meet people or play with books.

See Zed or Cate or go to office.

It seems IMHO that by reading this and other threads that the gringos are trying to transform the whole area into an upscale NOB strip mall.

Not this gringa, or anyone I know in the foreign community.

People first; cars way down the list. I live very near LCS, so no personal issue there. However, when we had construction going last year, we needed to park our car elsewhere and never had to go more than two blocks away (during a special event) to find parking. Why not get a couple more designated handicapped parking spots in front? Everybody else is not truly inconvenienced by walking a block or so. They do it for a restaurant meal at Tango's, for instance..........so why not for LCS?

• 2 months later...

Could someone please explain how building a new LCS on the grounds of the new plaza would work?

Would the society actually buy land from the Plaza's developers, or would they rent the land?

If LCS rents the land, would the yearly rent be at the discretion of the managers, and how often would the rent be raised?

If they buy the land, would they still have to pay management fees?

Just asking.

Terrific comments. Cannot help but sing, "pave paradise,put in a parking lot", LOL. The lovely grounds and the shared bulletin boards, the classes, services, and events, give newbies a year or two of community support in a difficult cultural adjustment. After that, maybe not so much. Longer hours being open, such as 9:00 to 6:00 with food vendors (Mexican) would be nice, but who is going to volunteer to cover? Might have to pay a good, professional volunteer coordinator. Hire locals for their cheap wages. Fix a few roofs, so what? The grounds are what matter. When I came here to visit, about 10 yrs ago, "the gringo park" as I called it, was a main attraction to wanting to permanently locate here ASAP. The Wilkes Center is an excellent example of farming out some community services to other locations if needed. Perhaps use the auditorium or other existing locations for some events? Parking? Good grief. Lets close the whole village to cars. Horse-pulled carts and pave the cobbles smoother for walking and bikes. Now we're talking good ideas!

Suz..my thoughts exactly. I can't imagine giving up this funky place for a more 'streamlined' less charming version of the LCS.

Sure there are things that could be improved upon, and there's plenty of talented locals and craftspeople who would jump at the opportunity to work on those improvements.

Before any decisions are made, and we're plunged into years of peso fund-raising in a time of financial restraint for many expats, why not publish the voting results, and the comments of the existing members.

I didn't see the word "bad." I saw the words "lack of."

I repeat, it is a volunteer organization. It is only as good as the volunteers and the community make it. That's how it works with volunteer organizations.

How is it contributing to the future of LCS by announcing that you "dropped out because of lack of leadership." That doesn't tell me much, does it tell you anything?

What did the poster expect from leadership? What did the poster try to get from leadership? What does the poster want to see going on at LCS?

They are reading this thread. We should be giving them feedback like Suz's IMO.

The things I value at LCS include; the library, the childrems art program, and the classes at the Wilkes Center. LCS is a Community Service Organization operated by volunteer. The leadership as always been marginal IMHO, but the volunteers keep it running pretty well.

Anyone who saw the recent activity during the Art Camp at LCS would be impressed by the enthusiasm and talent shown. The Catalog sales from the Ajijic Society of the Arts Open Studios tour last February provided the funds to make it possible and the volunteers who did the work putting together the activities should have hero medals. Or sainthood. Bless them. More volunteer arts and crafts teachers are still needed....so step up if you can. Someone is there every Saturday.

I understand that it's difficult to get good leader types in a volunteer capacity. I believe we're paying an administrator at present, but each sub-job requiring leadership qualities is unpaid and often thankless. Some who have volunteered say that they feel overburdened and under appreciated. The old saying about getting a job done by asking a busy person may be true, but those busy people shouldn't be taken advantage of, either.

I would volunteer at LCS, but my plate is already full with other volunteer commitments. Members should have a voice in how things are run whether they are volunteers or not. I'm with those who don't want to "pave Paradise". How many decades does it take to have a garden like that to enjoy if one's own grounds are limited? Isn't going to happen at a shopping center.

BTW, the new flagstones are not only nice to look at, but some of the previous hazards have been eliminated. Congratulations!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

If asked I lock up the place if needed other will do the same but normally the Gardener does lock the place up. One thing to remember the neighbors might not appreciate too much noise too late. We do try to be good neighbors and are for the most part. Just curious how many of you folks commenting are members?

I'd imagine all who are commenting are either members or prospective members. The input of both seems valuable to me, though perhaps for different reasons.

I'd imagine all who are commenting are either members or prospective members. The input of both seems valuable to me, though perhaps for different reasons.

Input: I've been a member for seven years. It's probably been discussed, but maybe LCS would acquire more members if the fees were based on levels of usage; i.e. the only use I make of LCS is the library (very rarely since getting a Kindle) and the CD's to listen to while I work. I don't use the movie rental since hooking up to U.S. Netflix, never used the health checkups, etc., and don't hang out in the coffee area. I'm not complaining loudly, but that's one expensive library card. lol. However, I do enjoy the scenery, so that's worth supporting. If LCS moved to the mall or a similarly sterile place, I'd become a former member and buy the books from the Kindle store on Amazon. Cheaper. :unsure:

Input: I've been a member for seven years. It's probably been discussed, but maybe LCS would acquire more members if the fees were based on levels of usage; i.e. the only use I make of LCS is the library (very rarely since getting a Kindle) and the CD's to listen to while I work. I don't use the movie rental since hooking up to U.S. Netflix, never used the health checkups, etc., and don't hang out in the coffee area. I'm not complaining loudly, but that's one expensive library card. lol. However, I do enjoy the scenery, so that's worth supporting. If LCS moved to the mall or a similarly sterile place, I'd become a former member and buy the books from the Kindle store on Amazon. Cheaper. :unsure:

I too no longer use the library or video like I used to for the same reasons. I will continue to be a member that uses my pesos to support the Mexican community through education assistance. There are many college graduates who would not have a degree without the student aid that LCS provided. Also all the Mexican artists that learned their trade from art classes at LCS.

I am also glad that through June's persistence there is a new paved patio by the snack bar!

maw

Nice patio.....agreed.

The LCS has provided space for childrens art classes, but the financial support has been minimal. I was happy to hear that the Ajijic Society of the Arts (ASA) has been donating substantial amounts from its Open Studios catalog sales, thus enabling the recent summer Art Camp to happen. The ASA also contributes to them for art supplies on a yearly basis.

When you buy a catalog for this coming February's Open Studios tour, you are making a donation to the LCS Childrens Art Program as well as to the art association. Some of the program's graduates have become amazing artists. Some return to teach others.

• 4 weeks later...

I am in agreement with Gringal. The LCS facility is a historical tribute to a morA quiet time. Some people like modern; others like tradition. Compare Las Vegas to downtown Guadalajara. One holds history in regard the other has no respect for tradition. Frankly I am sick and tired of people from El Norte who want to make Mexico like Ward, June, Wally and the Beaver America. I vote to leave it where it is BUT 1.5 million - that's bloody ridiculous!

I certainly agree....Money not the important thing....We have Alameda Park in Mexico City and Central Park in New York City and no one talks of moving for money or lack of it... ..But improvments could made, like good food and other things

What is needed, good management and imagination....Amen!....

Its quaint and that attaction to tourists...

My wife and I join every year that we come down. We actually use it rarely apart from the library but regard our membership dues as a bit of a charitable contribution to an institution that still provides so much to so many. That said, on the odd occasion that I do wander in to get a book or two, I try to stroll the grounds for a few minutes. They are an absolute treasure as far as I am concerned. Calm, peaceful and tranquil. They remind me very much of Thailand where I spent a number of years long ago. There is no doubt that improvements could be made to aspects of the LCS but, I would be deeply disappointed to see this wonderful institution moved or, God forbid, redeveloped.

Archived