Chapala.com Webboard

LCS and its future

Don't over react please. Over the years we have had some problems in that neighborhood (not the only one). We had a murder, two people at five pm last year were mugged on the side street next to LCS. It can be a lonely neighborhood sometimes. How do I know? I lived in two houses in that neighborhood. I wouldn't walk around at night down there by myself. Don't get me wrong it is a very nice neighborhood but sometimes lonely at night so we take precautions as anyone would. Many places in Ajijic I wouldn't be around by myself after 9pm or so. Lots of people around it is safe no people watch yourself at night.

Reality folks

That's my point. Open the LCS grounds in the evenings and it will both improve the safety in the neighborhood and allow locals to use the grounds after a hard day's work. Maybe 11PM is too late, but still would like to see some sort of evening hours. It could even become an opportunity for us expats to mix with locals and practice all those Spanish lessons we've taken.

Been a member for many years, more of a charitable contribution since e-books have replaced my library trips. I seldom go inside the gates, other than to read the classified postings or mail a letter. Just because I don't use LCS much, doesn't mean I don't want it to succeed into the future.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

bwhite1948: re post #41- "allegations"? a bit confrontational. lets put it this way, the people who hang in the plaza may/or may not not be appriopiate for LCS. lake chapala soc is not a public govt run facility, it is private property. then again, maybe you should volunteer to lead the party project? btw, that is a residential area, i dont know if the home owners would appreciate the noise, the crowds etc.

We've been going to the plaza in Ajijc a few nights a week for several years. We even linger till after dark. Never an issue with safety.

Yes LCS is private property but it's not a private Country Club (though many newbies say that's their first impression). Its constitutional mandate (below) sounds good in writing, but it has fallen short in its outreach to the Mexican community.

Having regular bi-cultural meet and greets where LCS could truly "foster interchange between expatriates and Mexicans" ought to be considered by the Board. No booze. No loud music. Just conversational exchange between the two communities at a time convenient to both communities.

Article 3. MANDATE
LCS is a non-profit organization dedicated to education and culture. It accomplishes its mission by assuming the following mandates:
1) To facilitate the integration of expatriates into the Lakeside community.
2) To foster interchange between expatriates and Mexicans.
3) To contribute to the enrichment of the Mexican community through relevant programs and
services.
4) To manage a library system relevant to our community’s needs using appropriate technology.
5) To establish and provide relevant programs, services and facilities to LCS members and the Lakeside community.
6) To manage LCS resources and operations.
7) To hold properties of any type and enter into any type of arrangement or agreement in order to fulfill our mandate

maybe 6:30pm to 8:30pm, during summer months. if there is no alcohol no music, then it may attract a different crowd. i was a member for the mail service. one of the reasons i (& others) have not rejoined is because of the mexican boys accosting us @ the gate. the ones selling the watches. so much for a santuary.

Bennie, I've been a member of the LCS in the past and enjoyed the facilities.

"Accosted" is a very strong word and very much out of place in this instance, IMHO.

How strange that you thought it was okay for the guys in Walmart who were selling jewelry were fine (and may have been selling stolen goods), but in this case, you find it offensive. You're comment was "either buy them, or continue shopping @Walmart."

In any event, it's a decision to be made by the CURRENT members of the LCS - not those of us who don't pay to be members.

MC, no i havnt. assumed since this has been going on for years, that they allowed it (???) its really creepy, not a nice way to enter the property.

MC, no i havnt. assumed since this has been going on for years, that they allowed it (???) its really creepy, not a nice way to enter the property.

The miscellaneous vendors are NOT allowed inside the grounds - they are supposed to be OUTSIDE the gates which is public property. They do creep

inside the gates and if we can, we politely tell them "outside the gates". Let Adela, our new Mexican operations manager, in the office know and she

or one of us will talk to them again.... The vendors know they are not allowed inside but occasionally a single vendor walks thru and sure enough -

there's always someone who buys from them anyway.

I don't like running thru those who are selling at El Torrito, the tianguis and Super Lake either - but are you all complaining to the management there as well?

I have found the vendors outside of LCS to be a great deal less pushy than the ones who hang out around SuperLake. I'm a little surprised that anyone would stop coming to LCS because of them. None of them act like that guy trying to sell junk windshield wipers over by SuperLake, for example.

This is Mexico and you are going to find people trying to make a living selling stuff pretty much anywhere tourists/expats or vacationers in general hang out. For example, they are all over the Mexican beach crowds as well. It is an accepted way for some folks to survive and I can't begrudge them that.

Hard for me to understand how anyone who can't handle this minor annoyance could live here, frankly.

So long as those vendors are on public property, there is little that any business owner can do about it. As MC has said, they are trying to make a living, so let us not make it too difficult for them, or they will have to resort to other means to survive. Many have no marketable skills or education and must fend for themselves by selling something. I am proud of them for trying and for not falling into a life of crime. Of course, there are some; like the windshield wiper guy, with a personality deficit, but if you speak enough Spanish, engage him. He will chat with you, even if you are not a potential customer.

what walmart does, is walmarts business. torittos is torittos business. neither of these 2 establishments try to solicit memberships. the fact that the "vendors" are the first thing i see when entering or last i see leaving. i know there is another entrance, but i forget sometimes. it is my right to feel uncomfortable. [moderator snip - personal remark to another poster]. i know its public property outside, guess its legal. i wish they were across the street. if i was in charge, i would give them 20pesos tip for each day they changed their corner. look@ it as a charity tip. so why bother complaining to terry? you already answered the complaint. i dont think its good for the image of the organization, but its out of your hands anyway. edit: i just reread & see there is someone to talk too. people should not buy from them if they are inside. a sign should be posted.

Sorry to interrupt. My post was taken off topic by bennie's post #29 and she has continued to keep it off topic until now we are discussing El Torito and Wal-Mart. Neither of which have anything to do with the future of LCS, by any stretch of the imagination. Good work, bennie. Thanks.

Hernan, I think you need to read Bennie's post again as it doesn't appear you understood the point she is making.

In any case, if you aren't a member seems to me to be a bit presumptuous to complain about the organization's policies. LCS IS a private organization with a community outreach mission.

Sorry to interrupt. My post was taken off topic by bennie's post #29 Good work, bennie. Thanks.

True or false, seems to me there is a much nicer way for you to say what you want to say, without being confrontational, no? Maybe a nice PM to the poster would do what you think needs to be done, without involving everyone reading this thread in your sarcastic comments. Be nice, don't try to "bait" people. At times you offer some good comments, I would appreciate hearing more of your "good" comments. Thanks.

maybe 6:30pm to 8:30pm, during summer months. if there is no alcohol no music, then it may attract a different crowd. i was a member for the mail service. one of the reasons i (& others) have not rejoined is because of the mexican boys accosting us @ the gate. the ones selling the watches. so much for a santuary.

Go in the lower gate by the lake voila no vendors/beggers.

Are you really intimidated by a bunch of boys selling berries at the north gates?

Creepy.....hmmmmm

My only objection to the berry boys is that they often completely block the entrance so that you have to go out in the street to get around them. Basically, too many of them.

The future of LCS will unfold as soon as the big decisions are made as to whether there will be properly done repairs to the facilities or whether it will be sold and the operations moved elsewhere.

What LCS has going for it now is the kind of mature grounds that take many years to achieve. This kind of atmosphere can't be replaced in a shopping mall.

• 4 weeks later...

First of all I hear a lot about the bad parking conditions yet no one has mentioned that you can now park (free of charge to members) in front of Yves. (sp)

Also, moving would force LCS to destroy all of the beautiful flowers there. And what about the history of the people who have donated buildings and structures? Come on now. We also must remember that we’re in Mexico and should not try to remake it in the view of somewhere up North. Part of the beauty of this country is its buildings and structures. REPAIR THEM. You don’t have to do it all at one time but a little goes a long way.

Get a bunch of people together and repair/rebuild/expand what we have. There are a lot of contractors out there who are looking for work. Find a good one and go for it.

And for those of you who say that you don’t go there because it doesn’t offer the kind of services that you want, well get in touch with a board member and tell them what you want. Because of requests LCS has a windows club and a Mac club and they’ve recently started an IPod and tablet club. Just in life, if you don’t ask you’ll never get.

Years ago one of my kids told me that he wanted to go to a computer school. We sat down and listed what he had to do to get into one. The first thing was to get an application and get his transcripts together. A few months later I asked him how things were going with his computer school. He told me that nothing had happened yet. I asked him when he had sent in his paperwork. He told me he hadn’t. My comment was did he expect someone to read his mind and process his paperwork for him. He recently received his Master in Information Services. Open your mouth and let the powers that be know what you want.

I've been a member at LCS for a couple of years. Hubby and I are early retirees (I'm 57), but we still enjoy the facilities and don't feel they are aimed exclusively at nursing home residents. We don't use many of the services yet, and don't go there frequently, but we love the gardens, fish ponds, and having the availability of books and videos if/when we want them. I'd hate for LCS to move from this location entirely, but I don't see why it has to be an all-or-nothing option.

If the library roof is leaking and causing issues for books, for example, perhaps that portion of LCS could be relocated to a more modern building... an LCS "Extension," so to speak. The library space could then be used for classes or other functions. Buildings needing repair could be handled on a priority basis as funds allow, rather than trying to handle everything at once for a price tag most people find unacceptable. Poco a poco.

As for parking, I seldom have an issue finding a place to park on "normal" days, although I might need to walk a block or two. From reading here, it would seem that parking is mainly a problem during special events. On those occasions, would it be possible to arrange for off-site parking and a shuttle service?

I do hope solutions can be found to allow this beautiful location to remain in use as the donor originally intended. It was a wonderful gift, and my main enjoyment of it, so far, are the beautiful natural elements, which couldn't be moved. I believe that the multi-talented and imaginative ex-pat community can come up with ideas and suggestions to improve the situation and keep this treasure alive if we apply some positive effort rather than putting energy into finding reasons for failure.

By the way, many thanks to all those who work and volunteer at LCS, now and throughout the years, to keep the place alive.

Heather

I've been a member at LCS for a couple of years. Hubby and I are early retirees (I'm 57), but we still enjoy the facilities and don't feel they are aimed exclusively at nursing home residents. We don't use many of the services yet, and don't go there frequently, but we love the gardens, fish ponds, and having the availability of books and videos if/when we want them. I'd hate for LCS to move from this location entirely, but I don't see why it has to be an all-or-nothing option.

If the library roof is leaking and causing issues for books, for example, perhaps that portion of LCS could be relocated to a more modern building... an LCS "Extension," so to speak. The library space could then be used for classes or other functions. Buildings needing repair could be handled on a priority basis as funds allow, rather than trying to handle everything at once for a price tag most people find unacceptable. Poco a poco.

As for parking, I seldom have an issue finding a place to park on "normal" days, although I might need to walk a block or two. From reading here, it would seem that parking is mainly a problem during special events. On those occasions, would it be possible to arrange for off-site parking and a shuttle service?

I do hope solutions can be found to allow this beautiful location to remain in use as the donor originally intended. It was a wonderful gift, and my main enjoyment of it, so far, are the beautiful natural elements, which couldn't be moved. I believe that the multi-talented and imaginative ex-pat community can come up with ideas and suggestions to improve the situation and keep this treasure alive if we apply some positive effort rather than putting energy into finding reasons for failure.

By the way, many thanks to all those who work and volunteer at LCS, now and throughout the years, to keep the place alive.

Heather

The roof at LCS library has plastic underneath it to protect the books underneath. It is only a short term solution but I don't want folks

to think that we let water sit around and ruin books we don't. We volunteers do our best but it is quite a battle to keep it all up. I spent one day just covering all the bare electrical wires to the lights with electrical tape. We do need volunteers especially skilled folks.

We need the following professional people to volunteer.

A master Gardener

A Building and grounds Manager

A General Computer person with skills and a personality (LOL I am one so I can say this) We have two and need one more to give six day a

week coverage.

General Volunteer positions.

Staff for Library

Staff for Magazine/Book sales room.

I am sure other volunteer positions are available also as I am not familiar with all the types of jobs at LCS.

Thanks for tolerating this and if anybody is interested go to the LCS office.

I'll have him do it again, but my husband has volunteered at least twice to work in the library, and would love to do it, but no one has ever even responded to him.

Have him pick up a volunteer application in the office who will give it to the volunteer coordinator - but also have him ask for Cate in the library.

It's a popular volunteer spot and they have full time and part time volunteers - i.e. snowbirds as well, unlike some of the other areas

who do have residency requirements due to required knowledge of the local area, etc.

When we visited, the LCS was busy but not too crazy. Perhaps, considering the historical nature of the site and also considering the hard financial climate we and they are suffering it might be a simpler arrangement to use some of the grounds for the parking lot. I am sure it could be arranged in such away as to retain some of it's old charm. Maybe one or more of your members has some technical ability in the redesign of landscape. Selling the site and moving all its equipment and memorabilia would be an expensive and difficult move.

Archived