Chapala.com Webboard

mexican mayonnaise

mexart

Observing mayonnaise at all the road side stands i eat and various other locations it seems the mexicans do not give a high priority to refrigerating mayo. I asked a worker at the store the other day if it was necessary to refrigerate the mayo, she said no. I'm thinking it s common practice here to just leave the mayo out, Is there something different about mexican mayo? i looked on the side of the jar and it says yema de HUEVO so in the states right into the fridge it would go. I don't have a fridge but i've been here in mexico so long i"m loving mexican catsup and now the mayo!

any practical experience out there?

Observing mayonnaise at all the road side stands i eat and various other locations it seems the mexicans do not give a high priority to refrigerating mayo. I asked a worker at the store the other day if it was necessary to refrigerate the mayo, she said no. I'm thinking it s common practice here to just leave the mayo out, Is there something different about mexican mayo? i looked on the side of the jar and it says yema de HUEVO so in the states right into the fridge it would go. I don't have a fridge but i've been here in mexico so long i"m loving mexican catsup and now the mayo!

Don´t get mayo on your vender food or suffer the cramps later is my way, They put too much mayo [high fat and calorie] and mustard on anyway no matter what you say about un poco por favor. Better to say sin mayo y mustasa por favor. Alan

The lime in the mayo works as a preservative. That is why all the mayo down here has lime in it. I once accidentally left mine on the counter while gone for a weekend, during the summer. I came back and opened it, expecting it to be all congealed like mayo NOB is after just an hour out of the fridge. It was fine and not spoiled. I have a few friends that leave their small jars on the kitchen table along with the ketchup and mustard.

Thanks yes i notice most mayo is lime added....and im thinking mavbe thats why they put the mayo pon the bread then on the griddle, the heat cooks the mayo.....which im gonna do to....though god help me I'm using mayo like my ex wife used sour cream.....on everything....

Mayonaise does not need to be refrigerated, but the food that it is added to must usually be refrigerated.

We sailed for several years without refrigeration and used smaller jars of condiments, including mayonaise. Just avoid putting a dirty utensil back into the jar and you will be fine. Our ambient temperature was about 82F and the mayonaise never spoiled, nor did any of us suffer in any way. So go for it and pay attention to never contaminating your mayonaise with anything else. It is actually the olive oil that preserves the egg, the two main ingredients of mayonaise. Alternatively, you can make your own as needed.

Note: We also carried about 60 dozen eggs aboard; purchased 1 day old and never washed. We dipped them in olive oil and eliminated any with cracks. Only once did we find a spoiled egg; one we had missed, which was cracked. They will keep at room temperature for months if oiled that way.

Whomever told you that about Mayo is not very intelligent. We put ours back in the fridge immediately after using it.

Same goes for salsa. Refrigerate it.

Mayonaise does not need to be refrigerated, but the food that it is added to must usually be refrigerated.

We sailed for several years without refrigeration and used smaller jars of condiments, including mayonaise. Just avoid putting a dirty utensil back into the jar and you will be fine. Our ambient temperature was about 82F and the mayonaise never spoiled, nor did any of us suffer in any way. So go for it and pay attention to never contaminating your mayonaise with anything else. It is actually the olive oil that preserves the egg, the two main ingredients of mayonaise. Alternatively, you can make your own as needed.

Note: We also carried about 60 dozen eggs aboard; purchased 1 day old and never washed. We dipped them in olive oil and eliminated any with cracks. Only once did we find a spoiled egg; one we had missed, which was cracked. They will keep at room temperature for months if oiled that way.

I wonder why they print on the jar"refrigerate after opening'?

I wonder why they print on the jar"refrigerate after opening'?

To protect you from yourself and cover their own a$$. They know that you will contaminate the mayonaise and cause it to make you ill.

Read my previous post carefully. I speak from my own experience and that of thousands of blue water sailors for decades beyond count. Note the comment about small jars; that keeps the life of the opened product down to just a few days.

Actually, much of what we normally keep in a refrigerator does not really need to be there unless we wish to keep it for weeks, instead of days. So, for bigger containers, refrigeration does apply.

I also lived for a few years in a lesser developed place, where refrigeration was not common, the stove was a single burner kerosene burner and the oven was the communal oven downtown, where young boys would run your roast or cake whenever needed. Fresh vegetables and other foodstufs came to your door by donkey or horsecart. Life was good!

Archived