Chapala.com Webboard

Evaporative Cooler

Last year a friend bought a wall evaporative cooler for a bedroom. Sadly, he is no longer with us. Having decided to sleep cool this summer I have been searching for a cooler. Home Depot does not carry them any more and I have run out of places to look for them. Does anyone know where to buy them or do you have any suggestions?

Would love a roof top model but the electricity would be a factor. Would probably cost too much to use it.

I don't understand why having the unit on the roof would cost more money. My roof top model uses about 350 watts on low and about 600 watts on high. I almost always run it on low and it cools several rooms. If the outside air is dry it works great and costs much much less than an A/C to operate (Uses much less electricity)

I used to have an old fashioned A/C as well but never used it and gave it away.

EDIT: Where did the/my unit come from? My contractor/architect picked it up at a store in Guadalajara more than 6 years ago. I don't remember where.

That was a great article, hornman. Remember that the type you want to buy are not the small portable ones that you could put in the center of a room, but one, be it big or small, that brings air in from outdoors. Right now at the local weather station the humidity is at a very low 24% and at my home on a cheap RadioShack meter its 21%. If I were to run this very dry air through my swamp cooler, it would drop the temperature by some 15 to 25 degrees and increase the humidity to a more acceptable level.

But remember, get a portable unit and place it in the middle of a room and you will not be happy. Just for the fun of it I put a small portable unit in a very small room and let it run for an hour. The temperature was a few degrees warmer and the humidity terribly high. But had I used dry air from outside, the room would have been much cooler and the humidity only a little bit higher

The worst thing about an evaporative cooler is finding one to buy, should we not speak Spanish. With Spanish, it's easy to find and buy.

Sorry that I am answering this a little late. Mine only has a switch for the perhaps 20 watt water pump that waters the evaporative panels and a second switch that turns the fan on either low or high. I have used it twice this year, once for about 90 minutes yesterday and again for about 90 minutes today.

I believe that because I live about as high as you can get in Ajijic and away from the lake, that as others have suggested that the air is dryer here than those like the weather station which are closer to the lake,. As my cheap RadioShack humidity meters suggest.

Right now the Chapala weather site which is located quite close to the lake shows a relative humidity of 36% while up here as far up as you can go on Juarez in Ajijic, my cheap not so accurate meter shows 25%. humidity.

Archived