Chapala.com Webboard

new member with permanent residency questions..

ea93105

Hi folks

I'm a new member with questions regarding permanent residency

I have been approved at a mexican consulate here in california and received a 6 month visa laminated in my passport for "residencia permanente"

I now need to complete the process in mexico..

1) can this be done in chapala, or do I have to go to guadalajara ?

Since I am not officially a permanent resident until I finish the process, can I drive into Mexico to complete the process or only fly ?

I know that once I finish the process and get permanent residency status I am only allowed to drive a mexican plated car.

No problem except what if I want to drive this mexican car into the usa ?

I know people have done this and have not experienced any problems, but what is the official by the book rule or law ? I plan to purchase a newer mexican car which won't be cheap and I don't want to have it confiscated in the usa...

If the official rule of law in the usa is not to allow us citizens to drive into the states, then permanent residency wil mean we can only fly ?

Thanks !

You can do it in Chapala, best not to bring a foreign plated car as there are no published rules but in the spirit of things and per phone calls to Aduana in Mexico City permanente will not be able to have foreign plated cars. No problem with Mx plated cars in the US.

less than 6 months ok to have Mexican plated car in US. if you end up moving back to states, you would need to sell your mexican plated car in Mexico and buy in the US again. if you just want to be able to drive back and forth for short trips - no problem

Thanks for the reply

I'm hoping to find a written confirmation about US citizens driving mexican cars into the USA..is there a goverment website where I can go to get this ?

I know that Mexicans can drive into the states with their cars legally, but I'm not sure about US citizens..

It is a state thing. State DMVs have limits on how long you can have an out of state car without registering it in that state.

It is a state thing. State DMVs have limits on how long you can have an out of state car without registering it in that state.

California allows 6 months until you have to register an out of state car if your permanent residence is now in Calif. and 6 months to get a Calif. drivers license, I think.

Can a "permanent resident" import a nafta car, or do they have to purchase it in mexico ?

If a nafta car is imported into mexico, does the usa or state it came from know this or can it "stay on the books" if you don't tell them. ? Does the mexican gov communicate with the usa during the process ?

Thanks

Archived