Chapala.com Webboard

Any malls in GDL?

Serenity6

So I can either continue dressing like a homeless person or do some clothes shopping. Any women or men out there who can recommend a decent mall in Guadalajuara with an assortment of clothing stores? Not crazy expensive stuff, just normal stuff. Here, I can only find expensive tourist type clothing or Walmart clothes. Any suggestions would be super.

There are quite a few malls in Guadalajara:

Plaza Galarias

Plaza Ciudadela

Plaza Andares

Plaza Del Sol

Plaza Los Toros (i think that is the name)

and more

The first three have Liverpool, and Sears. Andares is pricey. Sears and Liverpool are pricey though, too. Not sure what you consider "normal" stuff, though.

I'm with JNC, however, a few years ago I did go to the big fancy one up N on Patria and felt a tiny bit "under dressed" but then the local folks are getting used to us gringo slobs with bleached white chicken legs sticking out of unironed shorts and sensible shoes.

As stated, most of those are upscale malls with stuff I'd never buy even NOB. There is a sort of manufacturers mall on the back road that goes down to Joco. But, as I recall it was also upscale. A rule of thumb I always use it that if you have to pay for parking - then it's upscale, Costco doesn't.

There's also a large one on the S side of the Pereferico at Colon, it seems more "moderate".

Don't forget some of the locals - Terry's tianguis next to immigration in Chapala carries used mens clothes - and Coppel in Chapala must carry them too..... Never have found anything in womens clothing at Coppel - seems a step above or sideways compared to WalMart - but have had good luck at Terry's - one just can't be in a hurry there as you need to paw through a lot - but, good rewards for multiple paws.

The malls in my opinion are ridiculously expensive. A lot of the stuff is from the States. If it comes from elsewhere it's usually poorly made. I stopped buying here and buy only when I'm in the U.S. Andares Mall is probably the most expensive. I priced a shirt in one of the stores there. It was $1500 pesos for a man's long sleeve button down. Just saying.

I think you'll find that Suburbia's prices are reasonable when compared to other mall stores. Trouble is, the quality of the merchandise is fairly poor.

There is also a Suburbia in Plaza Mexico, on Av. Mexico.

If you want a real Guadalajara clothes-shopping experience, go to Tianguis del Sol on any Friday. There are many, many clothing sellers who set up there: the clothing that comes in from the USA--some used, some brand new with tags still on--can be a tremendous bargain and you can find fantastic brands. For example, I bought a brand new WITH hang tags pair of Birkenstocks (sell for $125 USD on Zappos) for 80 pesos. I have bought everything from Lands End sweaters (40 pesos) to the best bras I have ever owned (Vassarette, 50 pesos) to Jones New York to...well, the sky is the limit. There's even a vendor at Tianguis del Sol who specializes in mink coats and stoles. You have to go fairly often, but Friday is the day the clothing vendors open their new shipments.

Guadalajara's Shopping Malls

By Herbert W. Piekow, Photos by Victor Morando

Andares Mall, Guadalajara's newest shopping Mecca is huge, elegant and filled with upscale shops.

As I began this article I was reminded of the pun, "When you've seen one shopping center, you've seen a mall." True as that may seem I think that Guadalajara has some remarkable shopping malls and each one has its own character and unique qualities.

There are too many malls in Guadalajara for one article and my selection process was to write about the oldest — well that was easy, read the article; "San Juan de Dios: A Market with a History" in the February 2012 issue of Living at Lake Chapala.

In this article we've visited Guadalajara's oldest modern-style shopping mall, Plaza del Sol. Also in this article are the newest, Andares Mall; the most exclusive, CentroMagno; the most select, Galerias Calzado ( a shoe shoppers paradise); the largest and aptly named, Gran Plaza; and my favorite, Galerias, which is also the favorite of many Tapatios, as native Guadalajarans are called.

So let's go window shopping in Guadalajara and follow my motto, if you see something you really like, buy it! You may never see it again.

Guadalajara is a shopper's paradise, a place to satisfy the wants or needs of the most demanding shopper. In fact Guadalajara has been called the shopping capital of Mexico due to the variety of markets and malls. Like most of the malls north of the border, each of these malls, (except the shoe mall) has a food court with uniquely Mexican, Chinese, Japanese, and Italian selections, plus of course salad, sandwich and hamburger options.

Each of the malls has a number of unique boutiques and each has Cinépolis, a movie chain with multiplex options. At Galerias movie-goers can select theaters with 3-D, 4-DX and VIP Service, where a waiter serves your sandwich, popcorn and beverage.

Now nearly 50 years old, Plaza del Sol, with its many unconnected small shops feels more like shopping in the downtown area of a small city.

Plaza del Sol (A Place in the Sun)
Located between López Mateos and Avenida Mariano Otero, this mall was built in the 1960s by a group of investors who saw a need, had some well-located property, and a vision of the future. It was Latin America's first commercial center to be called "Plaza" and is still considered Guadalajara's largest mall — by some. The ambiguity is due to the unusual configuration and the number of small stores and services that have sprung up around the enclosed area.

The merchandizing motto for Plaza del Sol says; "Plaza del Sol: Todo" or (Plaza del Sol: Everything). That's true — there is everything from Starbucks and other coffee shops, including one that offers English, Spanish, and French newspapers and magazines to another that sells unique pieces of art along with a latte.

When you are in Plaza del Sol, be sure to take a coffee or yoghurt break and sit outside in one of several open plazas and enjoy the soothing sounds of pulsing water or a concert while absorbing sun or relaxing in the shade. Several of these small plazas, some with water features, have fanciful larger than life sculptures by Alejandro Golunga, Guadalajara's most famous sculptor. At Plaza del Sol there are numerous ways to relax as well as shop.

In addition to the nationally recognized anchor stores, Fabrica de Francia and Liverpool, Plaza del Sol has 270 locales, or individual businesses, divided into 13 zones, each with different types of shops — from financial services to the usual clothing and shoe options. There are several fine jewelry stores, bookstores, electronic and photo shops, restaurants, department stores plus Soriana the Mexican grocery store chain (which offers delivery service to the nearby community of offices, houses and apartments). Each of these different sections is divided by a small patio or plaza.

Just a few blocks away is Expo Guadalajara which is surrounded by many hotels like El Camino Real, Holiday Inn Express, Hotel Fiesta Mexicana and Hotel Ibis. People come to Guadalajara for the various functions at the Expo Center, spend a few days in one of the convenient hotels and go shopping at Plaza del Sol because it is so convenient.

(Left:) You'll find most Guadalajara malls, even Andares, are quiet and serene in the morning and early afternoon hours. It's a different story when Guadalajara comes out to shop at night. (Right:) Among the open spaces of Andares Mall is a stage and seating. Great for a small concert; perfect for a style show.

Andares Mall
Guadalajara's newest and most exclusive mall is considered by some to be "too ritzy" (that's possible?). Others call it the mall of the future; I love going there for the relaxed atmosphere, the landscaping, the abundant open spaces with lush gardens, water features, open restaurants. At Christmas time the place is truly a wonderland.

This mall is built in one of Guadalajara's, most upscale high-rise and high-rent districts — the area is known as Puerta de Hierro of Zapopan, one of Guadalajara's seven connected and absorbed metropolitan areas. This shopping complex was designed by the Mexican architect Juan Sordo Madaleño and built as a staggering cost of $530 million US Dollars.

The multi-level mall has both covered and open winding pathways so that the shopper does not see all of the mall at once. Perhaps people emerging from the Mont Blanc store don't want to be seen going to the Cartier shop or to the Louis Vuitton boutique. Hermes is tucked away from Fendi and Versace, and then of course the Armani store is not even close to Nike or Best Buy.

Each store in the mall is separate and uniquely designed and that makes this mall exciting. Not only are there high-end stores not found in any other Guadalajara mall, but you can subscribe to the Concierge or Paseo VIP services to feel really pampered and special. These services offer everything from valet parking, so you don't need to find your car when you are finished shopping. Another of these services is the personal shopper. When I worked as vice president of an international trading firm I used personal shoppers and was always pleased and less stressed. Now, I am in a different income bracket and enjoy window shopping. The Concierge service will also make lunch or dinner reservations for you, store your purchases and then take them to your waiting car. All this after they have helped non-Mexican residents with the IVA (sales tax) refund. They will even watch your well-behaved dog while you shop, go to the movies or dine.

The restaurants at Andares are not at all like the fast food courts of the other more pedestrian malls, even though there is a Chili's. There is also a P.F. Chang's, La Moresca, and Petrossian which is described on Facebook as buenisimo (excellent).

Don't take my word about this world class shopping mall, go and experience what it is like to relax and shop because everything about Andares is designed to make the shopper feel pampered in a luxurious atmosphere. Enjoy!

It's every shopper's dream — a mall with only shoes and accessories. (Left:) Galeria del Calzado's exterior screens the view of the dozens of shoe stores inside. (Right:) You'll find more high-fashion, sky scraper high heels in this mall than made for comfort styles.

Galeria del Calzado
Every city needs a mall dedicated solely to selling shoes and this mall does just that, well there are the usual accessories like handbags, jewelry, name brand sun glasses and some beauty supplies but the mall's mission sums up their purpose. "Nuestra misión es poner tu pies lo mejor de la moda en calzado y caminar contigo." (Our mission is to place the best shoe design on your feet and walk with you.)

You'll do some walking in this mall that sums up that mission in the 63 stores here that sell all types of shoes from those that seem to defy walking and comfort to sports shoes and of course sandals and slippers. This is not a big mall but it is a very specialized place. When I lived in Guadalajara and went to the University of Guadalajara, the young women in my afternoon class would make regular excursions to this mall.

It's great for me. My feet are narrow with an extremely high arch — you can put a brick under my arch — finding properly fitting shoes can sometimes be frustrating. At Galeria del Calzado there are several stores that sell only men's shoes and this makes shopping easier for my needs.

Parking below the mall is free and on the subterranean floor there is a podiatrist who can help with feet damaged from walking in shoes that are designed by masochists. No mall anywhere is complete without a couple of food vendors; here they mostly sell snacks and soft drinks. If shopping makes you hungry there are several nearby restaurants or you can wait until you get to El Gran Plaza, only a short drive away.

El Gran Plaza is a great place to browse, see a recent Hollywood film or have lunch. (Left:) The interior view from the third floor of the mall is stunning. (Right:) Enter the movie theaters from this parking lot, or access the area from the interior of the mall.

Gran Plaza Fashion Mall
This three-story mall on Lazaro Cardenas has 334 commercial spaces. It's way too easy to get lost or confused. My advice is to pay attention to where you park, write down the level, the letter and number of your spot and then notice how you enter the building. You could be entering from the street, lower level or multi-level parking options. At the very least note the store (and department) you walk through first.

Please do not let the fact that this is a large mall intimidate you — there are much larger malls in the world and folks come and go every day and no one is lost for long.

Gran Plaza sells just about everything you can imagine but as the name says this is a fashion mall with many options for stylish clothing for both the young and the more mature of both sexes. Besides some of Guadalajara's most stylish shopping there are several bookstores, video game and music stores to browse.

Gran Plaza also has more than one option if you are looking for sporting or workout equipment and clothing. There are a couple of large chain stores like Sears anchoring the mall that sell traditional merchandise and offer the usual but always acceptable styles, jewelry, fragrances, electronics and household goods. These anchor stores are important to every mall and the bargains in these nationally recognized stores generally offer better discounts than the more unique stores can offer plus the range of merchandise is considerably larger.

Sanborns, is a retail chain unique to Mexico and Honduras, it is a good place to eat, have a prescription filled while shopping or nibble some of their fine chocolates. My favorite thing to do in Sanborns, in any mall, is to buy a Spanish language magazine and sip a hot chocolate in the relaxed restaurant atmosphere. I like Starbucks, but always feel rushed. At Sanborns, the service staff dresses in traditional Mexican-style clothing and the service is consistently friendly.

Because of its size, Gran Plaza has a larger variety of unique and individual stores and kiosks than most malls. Mexican malls seem to have more ice cream, yogurt and cookie vendors than their US and Canadian counterparts and Gran Plaza has their share of those, as well as costume jewelry, soap and jewelry vendors. The mall also has several kiosks that offer gift bags, rhinestone embellished baseball caps and unique belts as well as other unique gift items.

The food court contains several small, but good restaurants, and Cinépolis movie theatres are located on the third floor. You can purchase your movie pass, there is a 14-screen option, and then have something to eat while waiting for the show to begin. Popcorn is always a movie favorite; here you'll find hot sauce or lime juice to be favorite popcorn toppers. Don't forget to add the jalapeños to your cheese-topped nacho delight. Cinépolis always has paquettes or special combination packages of candy and snacks to nibble while watching a movie.

(Left:) This modern sculpture logo of Galerias Mall is tucked into a traffic circle that also leads to the Sam's and Walmart stores and the Carl's Junior. (Right:) While everyone's favorite, Galerias may have the most unassuming exterior of the newer malls. The three-story bank of windows is designed so that they can be decorated with gigantic seasonal posters.

Plaza Galerias
This three story mall seems to be just about everybody's favorite place to stop and shop. It's a convenient stop for most Lakesiders who have gone to the city to stock up at Sam's and Costco. Those big box stores are located near Av. Vallarta and Patria in the northwestern section of Guadalajara.

Another reason for the appeal of this mall may be the open layout of this three-story 220-store complex. With its spacious and open, cross-shaped floor plan it is easy to get your bearings without feeling overwhelmed. The open spaces allow for more interior light along with a sense of freedom of movement and the anchor stores are at the cardinal points of the cross.

This mall hosts other events including concerts, autograph parties, health fairs, Christmas extravaganzas and Mexico's favorite remembrance — Day of the Dead altars.

Best Buy boasts its largest Mexican retail store is in Galerias, plus there are several other electronics stores. You'll find more electronics in the other anchor stores — Sears, Liverpool, and Sanborns, and home appliances and furniture, too.

Garlerias has an excellent balanced blend of high-end and specialty stores as well as a few facilities unique to this mall; there is a complete health and fitness club located on the third floor. There is an excellent day spa for a simple facial or a full body massage.

In addition to the requisite food court there are also several familiar restaurants scattered throughout the mall — some, like Outback and Applebee's are US chains. Almost every mall worldwide has at least one Starbucks and a couple of other fine coffee establishments. And if coffee isn't your thing, there is a tea shop that has both quiet interior and mall side seating, plus they have reading materials in Spanish and English. TEANOVA serves the largest selection of teas in Guadalajara along with a nice array of cookies, scones and cakes.

There's always more to see and never enough time. Perhaps next time we can guide you through the fascinating and always surprising Centro Magno Mall.

There are many more shopping options in a city of eight million people but these malls should be enough to get started. Most malls and public parking places (even the airport) require that you pay your ticket via collection machines prior to departing the building.

The basic rule of thumb is you have about 15 minutes from the time you pay at the machine, usually located close to an exit door, until you exit the parking area. The other thing to note when exiting the parking facilities is that you are seldom shuttled onto a different one-way street than that one you used to enter. It helps to have a sort of general sense of direction, keep a well-marked map ready, use a GPS or take a taxi.

Plan on spending some relaxing time when you visit any of Guadalajara's malls. Be sure to spend some time just looking or people watching, take a relaxing break at one of the coffee stalls or enjoy a meal. You'll need your strength to carry all your purchases to the car — unless you're at Andares and using the Concierge Service. Whatever you do and wherever you go, be prepared to be impressed by some world class shopping.

Where is Tianguis del Sol exactly? I'd like to run through there some day soon.

Take Av. Tepeyac to the intersection with Nicolás Copérnico. It's right there.

And 'running through there' is not a good bet. It's huge. Just the used clothing section is enormous. Everything else under the sun is also available there, from produce to meats and fish to...well, everything.

It's open Wednesdays, Fridays, and Sundays starting at about 8AM.

ETA: cross-post with bmh

The former Canandian Counsel General told me about "Plaza Patria" she said this is where more middle class Mexicans shop and its anchor store is Fabrics de Francia"now owned by Liverpool-

It's really the mall for people who live in Zapopan centro-It's 2 level parking lot is jammed every day- moderately priced stores and not overwhelming large-and has one of the best Artist Supplies Store in Guadalajara/Zapopan .

located at the intersection of Ave Patria and Ave Americqas- just a 5 min. drive thru Colomnus Park from the Andares Mall

Archived