Chapala.com Webboard

Baking with Mexican Yeast

MyHomeSweetHome

Guest RevImmigrant

I got some dry Mexican yeast in a large bag and use it like any other kind. I just used some a few minutes ago to make some steamed bun dough.

I just found out that Tradi-Pan levadura IS made by SAFMEX!!!!! SAF-instant is made by the same company here in Mexico!! Why can't Superlake find it! Geez!!! Ok, well, i'm wondering, do i use the packets just the same?? It is a little different. I'm going to quit being afraid and just bake some pan de mie and see how it turns out. I thought maybe i should use more?

According to their website in English:

"Our brand Saf-instant and Tradi-Pan, in sachets of 11 grams pre-measured to allow you to make your favorite recipes without complications. A recipe book is included."

I guess that means they're the same? Boy, am I ever happy!! Except, i don't know which SAF instant the Tradipan is like :( will keep digging online. One guy thinks it's like the Saf red bag, which is what i use.

http://www.safmex.com/english/products-f.html

For those of you who go to Costco on Lopez Mateos: the Mega store next to it has both vacuum-packed dry yeast which is instant and doesn't need to be risen separately (unless you want to) and is no worse than SAF (don't recall the brand, I repack and freeze it). If you ask at the panaderia (bread and pastry section) they can also sell you a brick of fresh yeast. Dry and fresh are around 30 p. Both work equally well though I like the fresh yeast because I'm used to it and think it tastes better in the bread.

Oh, where to get fresh yeast!!!! Thank you! I've always wanted to work with fresh but didn't know we could get it here.

I'm so impressed with what I've been able to accomplish. The biggest obstacle was getting over the fear that I'd mess it up. lol

Since I didn't get the message about dissolving it first, I figured it was an instant yeast and added it dry but still added the moisture in milk or water.

• 2 weeks later...

I went into SuperLake to pick up an item and happened to glance at the end of the isle where the yeast is. Low and behold a miracle! Shiny large red & gold packages of SAF yeast! I passed on it, bought fresh yeast at both Walmart & Mega on Monday, used it for several of batches of pizza and croissants, formed and frozen for Thanksgiving. yes, Mega also sells the large packages of instant yeast in the bakery. Fresh or frozen, both are 35 pesos. SAF in SuperLake was at least 50 pesos.

Happy Baking!

I really don't have any idea how the Fleischmann's compares as it's too expensive here and I bake all of our pizzas & breads from scratch. SAF is the brand that a lot of bakers use in the USA. Probably, yeast is yeast. Some are fresh, some are dry active(has to be proofed before) some are instant(no proofing required).

hmm, i must of read the wrong price for Fleischmann's, never seen it at Walmart just SL, and it was 50 pesos for a little tiny jar or a few packets. Enjoy, more for you! :D

In the larger tiendas in Joco it is sold. The creameria East of the main market on Morales has the bag and there is a refrigerated block of yeast. I bet the large grocery store on the carretera in Ajijic has it as well as its sister store in Chapala. Ask for "Levadura."

This is what the package looks like:

http://www.alofleischmann.com/mx/Panaderias/CadenasySupermercados/Productos/tabid/711/ProductoID/885/language/es-UY/Default.aspx

Fleischmann's is popular in eastern Canada, I never saw SAF there in the past. SAF here is mostly instant (from my observation) whereas Fleischmann's has "quick rise" and "active". Quick rise is instant. Active is the one you have to proof first, instant can be mixed directly with your ingredients and only proofed if you're worried about the age (which shouldn't be an issue if you keep it in the freezer).

Many bakers find "active dry" leaves a bitter taste in the bread and most prefer to use fresh yeast. To convert dry to fresh yeast by weight, multiply by 3 (8 grams dry is 24 grams fresh). Less is better (and less bitter) 1. because bread getting a longer rise to compensate has a richer flavour and 2. because the altitude causes bread to rise faster here.

Just thought I'd add these bits of info for anyone interested. I've had great results from the dry and fresh yeasts available at Mega.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived