Chapala.com Webboard

No. 4 Restaurant

crjd

This past high season they had live entertainment AND a cover charge almost every night, so we didn't go. Up until this past winter, we went about once a month, but I have a 'thing' about paying cover charges when already paying a relatively high price for a meal. We don't find live music necessary to a fine dining experience and object to paying a special premium for it.

We hope for the "off" season they'll go back to either canned music or the live piano player, for which in the past there was never a cover charge.

We ate at Number Four last weekend and there were two musicians playing. There was no cover charge.

They had a guest chef there that weekend (can't remember who or what the theme was), but Greg C. happened to come by the table so someone in our party asked him what was great. He raved about the seafood bisque, and since it was a hot night and I wasn't that hungry, I ordered a small Caesar salad (good) and the starter portion of the bisque (spectacular, really spectacular). Partner ordered a risotto, can't remember which/what, but neither of us thought it was a great choice, just okay. But this was in comparison to the already-raved-about bisque. Really good service, as usual.

I didn't notice how busy it was at 8pm when we arrived because we were late joining a group upstairs, but by 10pm when we were leaving it had definitely grown busier and people were still rolling in.

P.S. To Bisbee Gal: Thanks for recommending that Oaxacan restaurant in Colima. Ate there last month. Yum.

I ate there when Ian, the seafood chef originally from Florida was there but when I saw short ribs on the menu I ordered them along with the martini shrimp cocktail & the chocolate dessert. Frankly, I think it was the best meal I've had in 2 years in Mexico. Large portion of the beef which was just wonderful, good service & for what I got I thought it was well worth it. I'm trying to remember the price but as I recall, it was around $30 or just under $40 US. The bread was excellent as well & I understand #4 gets their butter from the lady who makes it & has sold it at the Monday market & Super Lake.

My meal was about the same as my companions who had a couple glasses of house wine but no dessert. Also, that included the tip because I was at a table for 10 so they add in the tip which is fine with me.

Now that Lourent has left it is, at least for me, Ajijic's best. More expensive, yes, but Kim and Greg offer menu selections not available in most other places. Just my opinion.

Attention vegetarians! Kimmie and chefs have added a "true veggie" entree. Delicious sampler includes eggplant parmesan, polenta cake, stir fry veg and arugula. IMHO, fantastico. Patti

hi guys

thank you (well most of you LOL) for the nice words about our restaurant. We are working super hard to keep the menu

new and fresh...I just want to address the "cover charge" issues that are mentioned above. We do NOT charge cover most nights...cover is only charged on..special occasions...most nights we have Noe and Roy or other guitarists, or piano and there is never cover. Cover charge is

for TALLBOYS, ZONA CUBA, GALEN OR ACASIA...they are large bands, expensive bands!!! and the cover goes directly to them. In order to bring

you these events it is necessary...these bands get upwards of $4000 - $8000 pesos for a night! With the business dropping so much lately, we are

doing our best to bring you some nights to rememeber!...These guys wont work for free!!! AND ON COVER CHARGE NIGHTS, WE ALWAYS HAVE A "GENTLY PRICED" special menu that offers entrees at super resonable prices, normally about 20 % less !!!! BY THE WAY....the cover charges are normally about $4 dollars! These bands deserve it...they work their butts off!!!

Just an aside, Chef Greg is arriving back in to town today from opening a little spot on the beach for a new boutique hotel, he will be "GETTING HIS FRENCH ON" beside Chef Glen Thursday, Friday and Saturday of next week! YUM!!!!

Hats off to Kim and her chefs and staff. I was there for the Torch Night and not only is she an exceptional singer, she made an announcement early on after thanking people for coming out for this wonderful event (what with all the craziness going on lately) that she was very short staffed and please be patient. My friend had the prime rib which was delicious and huge and she shared it with me and we didn't have to wait that long either.

Kim -- we love you and what you provide for our community. Of course, everyone has to decide for themselves where they spend their restaurant dollars, but for my money, I am never disappointed in my experience with Number 4 -- service, food, bar, music....even occasional cover charges for great entertainment.

Torch Night was amazing!!! Such great music and voices here Lakeside -- gracias Kim for a truly memorable night....

• 2 weeks later...

We ate at Number Four the other day and had another really wonderful experience that could not be duplicated at any other area restaurant. The food here is in a completely different category than anywhere else in town.

We're lucky Number FOUR is here. And I do mean lucky.

It's the slow season folks. Support your favorite restaurants!

Archived