Chapala.com Webboard

El Serapes - Won't go Back

sm1mex

We had a group of 13 people today for lunch at El Serapes. The waitress and the owner acted like we were a pain to have in their restaurant.

The server took our drink orders and everyone in the kitchen took a comida break. After about 25 minutes we had to ask for meus.

They brought them and went back to comida.

Then we had to ask them to take our orders.

Several people had over cooked and burned food.

The "Special" for Friday is pork shank and ribs. Some of the people asked for pork shank, and we were told it would be a wait time of 30 extra minutes for that.

Then someone wanted ribs and we were told it would be an hour extra wait for that. These were specials advertised in the reporter last week.

We got our food and finished. Waited and waited and had to ask for checks.

Finally got them, one at a time. We were there almost 3 hours.

Won't return.

Guest RevImmigrant

That's inexcusable. I won't go back because the food wasn't good, but when I was there, at least the service was tolerable if not speedy.

I am sorry that Traveler and group had an awful time, but what is described really surprises me. Marcos and his two young servers (who are family members) sometimes have comida while keeping an eye on the customers and their needs. This usually happens early and we're often there rather early. "Everyone in the kitchen took a comida break"? The cook and his helpers? Never saw that happen.

El Serape has many fans and some detractors. We go there often, either just us two or with friends. Obviously, we like the food (but not every single item that we tried became a favorite). We were there yesterday and had great ribs, with plenty left over to take home.

I think, though, if I were going to any restaurant with 13 people, a reservation would be a good idea.

Lexy

I no longer go there because the last two times I went I ordered chimichangas with beef. Both times I was served chimichangs with chicken. I did not send them back because the wait time to be served had been so long I would have been having dinner instead of comida. They weren't that busy either time.

Well, this is two down (last time it was the Yellow House pizza place) and many to go for The Travler and the group of 13. It will be interesting to see the next review. We love El Sarape's also and have most always had great service and food. They do not ever bring the check unless asked ... I have been told that is a Mexican Culture thing ... which I would much rather have to ask for the check than have a waiter try to hurry us out the door. To each his own ...

We had a group of 13 people today for lunch at El Serapes.

We got our food and finished. Waited and waited and had to ask for checks.

Finally got them, one at a time.

Well, this is two down (last time it was the Yellow House pizza place) and many to go for The Travler and the group of 13. It will be interesting to see the next review. We love El Sarape's also and have most always had great service and food. They do not ever bring the check unless asked ... I have been told that is a Mexican Culture thing ... which I would much rather have to ask for the check than have a waiter try to hurry us out the door. To each his own ...

Why do I get the feeling that there is more of a problem with this group of 13 than there is with the restaurants. We've lived here almost 8 years now and have never gone into a restaurant and received the bill when finished without asking for it.

We had reservations, the tables were all set up inside. We were ignored and treated like we were unwelcomed. The group is a fun group and not snobish or demanding. The owner and 2 ladies were more interesting in eating their comida then serving the customers. i know they will not bring the check until asked, and when we did ask it took over 20 minutes to get our checks. I had a hamburger and fries. Hamburger good and fries especially good, but others did not have such good luck with their food, I asked for medium rare hamburger and it came out gray on the inside, way over cooked but the beef was good, just dry.

Our group is not just 13, sometimes we have 10 and sometimes we have 18. Depends on who can come or not.

I eat at El Serape about once a month because I have a friend that enjoys it and I was one of the thirteen yesterday. In my opinion the service was what I would normally expect there. I would never call it enthusiastic. The drinks were delivered promptly, but there may have been some confusion about when to take orders because two chairs were empty and even I thought we were waiting for others to arrive. The food was a little slower, but someone ordered the chamorro and was told it would take an extra 30 minutes, therefore we all waited an extra 30 minutes so that we would eat together. I ordered David's burrito and the beef filling was burned. I think it was reheated and sat in the pan too long. I will return to eat there in the future, but I won't order that again. I thought the checks were brought promptly once asked for and correct change was made. I know someone was impatient because of another appointment, but I only had an afternoon nap on my schedule.

I hope our entire group will not receive a reputation for being negative. I had a fine meal at La Tasca and was given a friendly greeting by the owner. We had a wonderful meal at Cozumel in Chapala despite the Good Friday holiday and a packed restaurant. Manix managed a trifecta in my opinion. Great food, atmosphere and service. I think we may be discovering which restaurants can't handle a large group, but I wouldn't assume that the restaurant is not worthy of repeat business.

I like Serape, never had a bad meal there Love their rice but not there beans, I just order extra rice. When my brother and wife were here, we went and all had the chomroma (sp?), it was delightful. However if I were to take a party of thirteen, I would definately call ahead of time to alert them.

We didn't know the specials Chamorro and Ribs wouldn't be ready until 2 p.m. It did not state that in their ad in the Reporter. We were there at 12:30 and the only customers. We eat at many local restaurants and all have wonderful food, just sometimes it doesn't click when you are at one but other times it can be fine.

What is the big deal about 13 people, especially since they DID have reservations? Think about it. If they were not together, that would be four tables, max. El Serape has more than four tables. When I used to go in there to eat, I've seen sixteen or more people there. I did not stop eating there because of the service. I stopped because three times I was served food that was literally inedible. No, not three times in a row, but three was the killer. The last time it was flautas that could not be cut with their knife. Then I tried my knife which is very sharp. No luck. I just called for my check, paid and left. Every time I consider trying again, I read something on the board that convinces me to not try. I hope no one is suggesting that if we have a bad dining experience, we should keep it to ourselves. I'm not a member of that group, but I know people who are. They describe the organizer as rather easy going. I'm assuming that the visit was really unpleasent for her. Good food/bad food is many times a matter of opinion. Good/bad service not so much.

Agree with Jaykay, and would like to add: when you are in the restaurant business, you only have one goal: making the customer happy. Same as any other business. That means doing it properly, whether it's a single table or a packed house. It's a restaurant.

We eat at El Serape quite regularly and think highly of the food. As long as I have read this webboard, it is often that complaints arise when large groups of people dine at small restaurants.

Archived