Chapala.com Webboard

Moving companies

Canamex

I know this has been visited, but no one was specific, so it's hard to know if brief comments about specific movers are promotion by pals or genuine experience.

We just had a quote from Seymi that I found high, largely because of brokerage fees, and worrisome because of the openness of the exclusions - possible additional brokerage fees, the necessity for the owner to be at the port of entry to do the customs paperwork (what's the broker for???), extra costs if things are not off-loaded from the ship, i.e. demurrage (quote was for sea shipment), extra costs if they unpack, have to go up stairs, have to carry stuff a certain number of meters, elevator fees, taxes and so on.

Seymi makes a lot out of the fact that they are certified, whereas Strom for example (they say) is not. The Seymi quote was 4,000 USD higher than Strom's, with nearly 3,000 being a broker. Insurance would be 3% of the value of the goods on top of the 12,000 quote.

None of these exclusions or brokerage fees were mentioned by Strom in their quote and it makes me wonder what the reality is. So I'm asking for people's experiences and costs with any moving companies, extra unexpected costs, reliability, brokerage fees, safety of travelling by land as far as Ontario with Buffalo or Detroit as the port of entry. Who had go to the port of entry to do their own paperwork?

I had a bad experience with a customs broker years ago importing plants til I found a different method, so I like to avoid them at all costs.

I'd really appreciate hearing any experiences and opinions, but if you're not comfortable making them public, please send me a message privately.

I don't have any clue about brokers but when I moved here, I had a truck full of items packed by United in the Virgin Islands which was trucked to a boat which sailed to the States, then trucked to Laredo where Strom White got it. I didn't have furniture, it was all personal, household items, paintings, small appliances like a Kitchen-Aid mixer, Cuisinart, etc. That was all packed by the movers, not me.

Strom-White insisted that I list all electrical items be listed with their serial serial #'s. There was flooding around Laredo & they waved a lot of trucks through after the stuff was off-loaded because there was a huge backlog so I got my stuff before I even had my FM-3.. I had numbered all boxes & listed the contents which I gave to Strom-White along with the electrical items & serial numbers. My paintings, some of which were fairly valuable didn't make it. A few months later, Strom-White tracked them down as they'd been put on somebody else's truck who had moved to Guadalajara & hadn't fully unpacked so didn't notice them & I got them all back.

It cost $4,000.00 USD to Laredo via sea & land & $2,000.00 to get here. As I said, no furniture but a lot of personal items & it did fill up a truck.

If brokers are required, I don't know anything about that but I'm thoroughly pleased with Strom-White. Completely.

We used Strom White for our move and we were very satisfied with both the price and the quality of the move. It was not a straight up point to point move. They had to arrange to pick up goods in three locations in two countries. Everything arrived in Ajijic at once, on time, in good condition and for the quoted price.

We were most happy with Strom-White. Last year a three man crew came to the house on time...and..carefully packed the items I wanted shipped back to the US. Strom White did all the paperwork...everything. Within two weeks after flying back to the US a mover called and told us our items were ready to deliver.. Everything was in perfect condition. (They actually built a special crate for our table). We are more than pleased with Strom White. (By the way the cost from Mexico to the US (upper Midwest) was way below what we thought it would be.

We used Lake Chapala Moving, across the street from Super Lake. Winston, the owner, used to be a customs broker and a terminal manager for Roadway/Yellowfreight. We had our furniture, etc. packed by movers in Texas, then Winston took over. We had no problems at customs and the truck arrived on time. Nothing missing or broken. The cost was about half of what we were quoted by others. We've also used Winston to move a couple of times here locally. His crew is great, as is Winston.

Strom-White includes brokerage services in their quote. It is all inclusive with the only extra being optional insurance. We had our household goods including furniture moved from Colorado to here 5 years ago by Strom-White. Everything arrived in perfect condition. We felt the price was reasonable. There was a slight delay at the border, but we expected that. All in all, a very good experience.

I used Winston at LCM from Minnesota to Chapala. I had movers in MN load up the truck, and my stuff stayed in the same truck the entire time until it got here. His crew is super nice, and they did a good job. His quote was easily half of what Strom-White quoted me. With Strom-White, your stuff doesn't stay on the same truck. LIke others have said, Winston used to be a customs broker, so he knows the ins and outs of getting your stuff across the border.

As far as safety moving stuff by land that far, MN is pretty far and I had no problems.

Strom-White handled mine. i did bring some furniture. no issues. Did seem pretty expensive, but i brought down a king size water bed (minus the water) amoung other things. it also sat in a warehouse in Laredo for several weeks till i had my FM-3 to have it brought in.

I notice no stories about Seymi. The OP didn't state where he/she is moving to/from. We too used Strom-White as did many of our friends. Great service and no BS. Each move is unique and can have problems. What matters most is how the mover resolves the problems. Strom-White, none finer.

Thank you so much for the replies and experiences. I'm going to see Winston at Lake Chapala Moving, it's super that he was a customs broker and knows the ins and outs. You're right: who certifies? Some organization in Latin America that I didn't check.

This is from Ajijic to Southern Ontario. Seymi's quote is by sea to Montreal where I supposedly have to go do the customs paperwork, probably stay overnight, then the stuff goes by train to its destination and I can just imagine the extra costs not quoted, taxes and more. I'm posting the costs because it may help someone else. Strom 8,000 USD, Seymi 12,000 USD - the quotes include some furniture, but not a lot. As I say, the disproportionate cost with Seymi was for the broker (just under 3,000 USD).

We paid a LOT of money to Seymi for our move from New Jersey. They charged us $1500 for insurance to cover the load. We had to put our things in storage down here for several months before we unpacked. A number of items were damaged, at least 2 boxes did not show up and the SEYMI insurance brokers did not even reply to our claim. Could not recommend them.

BTW - we prepared our menaje de casa ourselves, and got it approved at the Mexican consulate in New York City. The only issue at the border was a flat screen TV, bought less than 6 months before the move - we had to pay duty on that, and it took an extra month or two to get it delivered down here.

We paid a LOT of money to Seymi for our move from New Jersey. They charged us $1500 for insurance to cover the load. We had to put our things in storage down here for several months before we unpacked. A number of items were damaged, at least 2 boxes did not show up and the SEYMI insurance brokers did not even reply to our claim. Could not recommend them.

BTW - we prepared our menaje de casa ourselves, and got it approved at the Mexican consulate in New York City. The only issue at the border was a flat screen TV, bought less than 6 months before the move - we had to pay duty on that, and it took an extra month or two to get it delivered down here.

Now you know why we recommend Winston and Lake Chapala Moving.

BTW... Just watched Apassionata on PBS. Don't miss it if you love horses!

holdrja, it is not possible to use seymi from new jersey. seymi only takes the load from texas to mexico. you either used united or allied. 10yrs ago i used them (allied/seymi) from conn to ajijc. i was over charged big time by allied, as they knew i had no experience. it was a very tiny load, 1/2 container. they hate tiny loads, they want the huge households. so i put in a claim for $500. usd (willis insurance) via seymi. the check came w/in 3 weeks. i did this claim to recoup a little $, as allied/seymi charged me almost double in 2003. they were guilty as sin, i should have questioned & gotton price down @least 30%. they put my load into a conatiner w/another client. see new thread. topic: "local movers", we also discuss international as well. i really like the owner of seymi, but i question his workers. as i question most workers here. btw, i was so nervous leaving for mexico, that i packed many cartons myself. i may do that again, especially for the local move. (& transport some cartons in a taxi, w/the really expensive things).

We used LCM for our move from Ohio and hired daylabor in Ohio to help load the trailer. We used all 28 feet. WE packed most of the boxes ourselves and wrapped the upholstered furniture. Purchased the supplies at a wholesale business - flat cardboard, bolts of shrink wrap, plain newsprint, various sized bubble wrap and cardboard boxes. LCM arranged transport of the trailer and pick up was quick. Because our subdivision did not allow a trailer we moved everything to two large storage units and the trailer was able to park there for 4 days while we fuss and fooled with loading it.

The load let Ohio on Dec 20 and arrived in Ajijic on January 10th. Excellent time considering the holidays. We had two broken chair backs but had them repaired and didn't bother with a claim. Too much hassle. Total cost for transport and LCM was just over $10K. The storage units and daylabor was, 8 years ago, about $1500.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the helpful comments above. I hvae three specific items of concern and would appreciate any advice or comments espcially from those who have experience with these items. I want to consider shipping:

1. My car - is this possible

2. My grand piano - is the a piano tuner who caould both tune and revoice my piano?

3. My granfather clock - is there a clock repair professional who could put the clock back together?

I would also consider selling the piano and purchasing a new one there - is there a store where I could buy a new piano - but it would still need to be tuned and voiced!

My grandfather clock is a heirloom and I would not like to sell it!

Thanks so much for your consideration

It's possible to ship all. Talk to Veronica at Strom-White moving for details whitemovers@gmail.com

Concerning the car and the piano. If you consider them special then by all means bring them. However you may find it more economic to sell your car and buy one here. Concerning your piano that might not be true. It will cost about $2-3/lb. to ship it. If you love it then ship it. There is a very good piano company in Guadjalajara (Castallon Pianos) that can maintain it for you. Alternately, they could sell you a new or used one.

As for the clock, move it. There is a good watchmaker in Chapala who can care for it.

Call Winston at Lake Chapala Moving, He does worldwide moves or rather like all movers, he arranges the foreign moves. Winston speaks excellent English, went to college in the U.S., worked in the U.S. in the moving business. His experience is extensive:

http://www.lakechapalamoving.com/id5.html

He supervises every move personally.

The company:

http://www.lakechapalamoving.com/

• 1 year later...

We were very pleased with Chapala movers. His quote was about $1,000 less than the competition, his men were meticulous packers, had great personalities, and everything arrived without any breakage or loss. I had asked for some "pre-packing" days so there wouldn't be a crunch on moving day, and Winston was quite pleased to oblige. Everything went like clockwork. We were notified when the truck cleared US customs, and the same trailer that was loaded in Mexico showed up in our driveway. The unpacking crew arrived a couple days later. Nothing broken!!! I recommend these guys!

• 2 years later...

Archived