Chapala.com Webboard

Tajho Burger, Really?

moonhill

After seeing some pretty eye popping ads, and craving a good juicy burger, we decided to try the new place west of Ajijic. Most of the people around us seemed to be enjoying their burgers alright, although no one was raving, but to us they were the same old beige commercially blended (read: Costco) pre-formed meat that seems so common around here. They never asked us how we wanted it done, but with that blend of meat it doesn't matter, it all cooks up the same anyway. The sign out front advertised the special today was the burger combo, which includes fries and a drink, for 68 pesos. After showing it to the waitress (who I think is the owner)three times and asking for the special, she insisted the combo was 78 pesos. No amount of pointing out the sign helped, so we paid our 78 pesos and vowed to stick with Tony's, Thirsty Turtle, or 60's in Paradise for the real thing in the future. The fries were good but brought out fifteen minutes ahead of the burger so you either eat them while they're hot or let them get cold if you want them with your burger. The staff was friendly. Just our opinion, I hope others have a better meal than we did. We'll keep an open mind in case they improve with time.

We also drove out to Tajho, only to discover that what we were served was what we had in our freezer. Our experience will not cause us to return. We won't keep any of those Costco 'arrachera burgers' in our freezer any more, either. Commercial grind hamburger from Soriana is the real deal.

Guest RevImmigrant

I ate there once, which was enough. No amount of toppings could hide the fact that the meat was dry because it didn't have enough fat in it. I made hamburgers earlier this week - ground beef with 30% fat, the way I like it. They were excellent.

I've heard several folks raving about the burgers at the Sports place (formerly Las Miches) across from Roberto's and in the same center as Strom-White movers.

Sorry to say, the burgers we had at Score were terrible. They call them beer burgers and I watched as the cook threw the patty on the grill for about 2 mins. Came beige and tasteless. Had to add lots of condiments. Will not go back. Hope others enjoy them. I like my burgers grilled with some fat in for flavor.

The very best flavor for a burger I have had is the ground sirloin burger (no bun), with caramelized onions,

mashed potatoes, and veggies-all for $65 pesos- the Wednesday lunch special at the Nuevo Posada.

You also get 2 for 1 drinks until 1:00pm.

maw

Pedrock, I think you are new to the board. Welcome!

But typing in all caps is considered yelling and impolite. If you have visual difficulties and need the larger letters, let us know and several techy types can explain how you can increase the size of the letters on your own computer for every website you visit.

Also, there is a search function for this board. It's deeply flawed, but functional. It will not search for any term less than four letters; however, I'm confident that you could search for 'paradise ' and get the address. Or google it: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&gl=US&ie=UTF-8&source=android-browser&q=60+in+paradise+ajijic

If I'm not mistaken the "Thirsty Turtle" was located on the Carretera at the corner as you turn up to the Lakeside Little Theatre in San Antonio Tlayacapan. It closed at least two years ago. This new burger fiasco "Tajho", from the early reviews, unless they wake up, likely won't last long enough for anyone to start worrying about it. "60's In Paradise" was always great and possibly still is and it's a pretty good bet that the "Early Bird" on Aldama just west of Juarez and operated by the couple who started"60's in Paradise" which is on Hildago (just west of Colon) likely still has the best burger around. Pretty good other "diner" style items also and from what we hear a very respectable breakfast is always served and.....they're pet friendly!

The very best flavor for a burger I have had is the ground sirloin burger (no bun), with caramelized onions,

mashed potatoes, and veggies-all for $65 pesos- the Wednesday lunch special at the Nuevo Posada.

maw

Mashed potatoes and veggies with a burger???? Seems a little weird to me. :-) Do they offer fries as a substitute?

Posted Today, 03:59 PM

snapback.pngmaw7815, on 23 February 2012 - 08:02 PM, said:

maw

We used to call that a Salisbury Steak or something... I think probably named that by the same guy who told us that picking up a penny is good luck (when in reality it means never pass by money of any type...)

Just out of curiosity, have those who say 60's in Paradise has the best burgers also had the burgers at the Early Bird? I personaly find a big difference. The rolls are much better at the Early Bird and the burgers are juicier. I know all of his meat is fresh and top-of-the-line.

Pedrock, I think you are new to the board. Welcome!

But typing in all caps is considered yelling and impolite. If you have visual difficulties and need the larger letters, let us know and several techy types can explain how you can increase the size of the letters on your own computer for every website you visit.

Also, there is a search function for this board. It's deeply flawed, but functional. It will not search for any term less than four letters; however, I'm confident that you could search for 'paradise ' and get the address. Or google it: http://www.google.co...paradise+ajijic

GET A LIFE

I think the best burgers are at Magana's in Riberas on the Careterra just east of the green Catholic Church on the Lakeside. Juicy top grade ground sirloin which you can request on a hard roll with butter if you like.. ( It is usually served on a good hamburger bun) Toppings include fried and raw onions, bacon, cheese, lettuce and tomatoes. He serves sour dills on the side. Comes with your choice of one side of either great homemade fries, the best fried homemade onion rings in town, a small salad, baked beans, coleslaw or potatoe salad. All homemade and great. Price around 70 p. You can also order an addtional side for an extra charge. Has the usual condiments but high quality brands.

Thirsty Turtle at the Perferico Hotel off the Libramento comes in second, although the bun is the usual hamburger bun and does fall apart., Their home made fries are good as well.

Archived