Chapala.com Webboard

vegan

Warden

Good for you, Warden! I've been 90% vegan for 3 months now. I'm getting it down, takes a little getting used to and lots of cooking. Tons of good vegan food here! See other post.

Please, tell me which doc put you on the vegan diet??? I ran it by 2 very prominent ones here and they didn't even want to discuss it. At all. I'd like to know who is enlightened.

Have you read The China Study? Have you watched Sanjay Gupta's CNN short docu The Last Heart Attack? Seen the Forks Over Knives docu?

Provecho!

First, it would help to know how far you are trying to go...are you a big meat eater? Do you only eat pasta with cream sauces?

Second, how strict of a vegan diet has he prescribed? A lot of products are made with broths and/or flavorings...do you have to avoid everything?

Third, what is it for? A vegan diet can be prescribed for heart disease, diabetes, and a number of other things. There are exceptions that can be made depending upon the desired result.

Although vegan is great, you don't want to put your system into shock either.

This is a great place to be vegan if you have never done it before...I haven't been able to find the good meat substitutes here that I was so accustomed to in the states. It is possible that a trip to Guad could provide Boca burgers or some other textured vegetable protein products, but I haven't looked too much.

<p>Tried to PM you, but it wouldn't go through???</p>

<p> </p>

<p>So here goes...</p>

<p> </p>

<p> </p>

<div>I'm vegetarian, but was vegan in the states. </div>

<div> </div>

<div>If you eat cereal (hot and/or cold), the better milk replacement IMO is vanilla Rice Dream...it gives it a little extra sweetness, though. That said, chocolate milk is better in soy, but I haven't found a decent chocolate milk here. If you need coffee creamer, you are out of luck, but the non-dairy powdered stuff is somewhat acceptable.</div>

<div> </div>

<div>Breakfasts can be hot or cold cereal, grits (hard to find here and a little pricey, but nice on these cold mornings), lonches (some of the bolillos are vegan, some use egg whites...just ask) with fresh veggies like avocado and tomato (needs salt IMO), fresh fruit, smoothies, and there are easy ways to make vegan pancakes. The best egg replacement is Energy Egg Replacement Powder, but you don't want to eat it...just use it for cooking. I got some Southern Mills Old Fashoined Peppered Gravy mix with Sausage Flavor at WalMart that is 98% vegan (it has some milk products like casienate) and you just mix it with water; biscuits aren't vegan but bolillo dipped in it works.</div>

<div> </div>

<div>Lunches and dinners can be spaghetti (most pastas are vegan, but some have egg so just read labels), veggie lasagnas, ratatouille, soups and stews (don't try to use milk replacements for creamy soups...it just doesn't work...if you have to have something to thicken it try instant potato flakes), stir fry veggies (I use the bags of veggies at the tianguis and teryaki sauce and then put it over rice), bean tacos with salsa and guacamole on corn tortillas, bean tostadas, sopes, some tamales (some are made with oil, not lard...the sweet ones are usually butter though...I think the veggie ones at Ximena in Ajijic on the carretera just up from the intersection with Colon are; I used to get them and she was making the masa with oil and the filling was kind of like a veggie soup and had no cheese), veggie fajitas, and lots more. You can find great recipes online. A lot of Indian food is vegan, as well. </div>

<div> </div>

<div>There are some great vegan cupcake and cookie recipes online. I used to have a couple books that were great, but they were simply named and I can't think of them off hand. If you want to know, I will look around and see if I can find them online. </div>

<div> </div>

<div>I can get monotonous and you will have to cook more, but there are options. Don't try the vegan cheeses...there is no replacement for cheese and if you have had anything close to cheese in the past ten years, you will not like even the best of vegan cheeses. If you go to Guad, the best vegan meats are made by Yve's and come in red packaging; they have hot dogs, ground beef, chicken skewers, and sausages. If you ever head back to the states, Whole Foods has incredible vegan General Tso's chicken and beef stir fry in the prepared foods section...these are the two foods I miss the most. :) </div>

<div> </div>

<div>If you need anything, just send me a PM. I used to do nutritional counseling in the states.</div>

<div> </div>

<div> </div>

• 2 weeks later...

Hey fellow veggies. . .

Please let me know if someone finds soy chorizo again, SL used to have it but haven't seen it in a long time.

Here is something for you! My old friend Jean writes a great food blog and among her recipes is this fake egg salad:

http://www.myrecessionkitchen.com/Site/My_Kitchen/Entries/2010/5/4_Mock_Egg_Salad_-_A_Heart_Healthy_Alternative.html

I absolutely LOVE this and ate an entire bowl yesterday. Hope you like it too.

Provecho!

I tried just the plain TVP in the bags at WalMart and it was okay. I'll give it another go with the mole.

The best vegan chorizo IMO is Yve's, but I haven't seen it here...thought about bringing a bunch back with me, but they aren't the best about understanding what fake meats are at customs; they took my vegan chicken from Whole Foods. :(

Archived