Chapala.com Webboard

Cafe Magana

mar5

Had lunch there yesterday. My check was 150 pesos for food....AND A 1 PESO CHARGE FOR A GLASS OF WATER!!!! OUTRAGEOUS--and the only restaurant I've encountered in 2 years that does this. When I complained to the owner, he got really nasty and said it was only 1 peso and I must be really cheap. I said it was the principle of the thing! There are too many other good restaurants in this area to put up with such nonsense, and the nasty signs in the bathroom, at the booths and on the bookshelves. If this guy thinks his customers are cheap and stupid---let's take our business elsewhere...and you can get better food at a ton of other places where you are treated with respect, not contempt! And use the LCS library and support its good work.

it seems the owner has a bit of a control problem. we used to go to Cafe Magaña but got weary of all his rules. it is contemptible to be charged a peso for water, especially after spending some money at his place. and to pull out the cheap card when you complained is the height of rudeness. not that there's anything wrong with being thrifty,but to intimidate you. good for you, standing up for your(and our) principles,but this guy doesn't seem capable of learning anything and may have to get the message by losing business. he's certainly lost ours.

Interesting. Last time this place was discussed, all sorts of excuses were given for the signs as though we were at fault for his rudeness. No, they're NOT cute and funny, they're rude. Now he charges for water? Lol. It never ceases to amaze me what people will excuse because somewhere is considered "in". No thanks. I can get much better fish and service elsewhere.

Having being in the retail business for years I can't help but watch how people operate their businesses. It seems that some work so hard and get too attached to their business and feel like they are under attack by some of their customers. They start to set up odd rules and practices which alienate many customers. Which of course only leads to more problems for the busninees and the customers which in the end only leads to customer loss and demise of the business. Witness Casa Adoria recently.

Jeff's manner can be a little odd-I feel like I have to be on my best behavour.

Ha! I love it ! Jeff is just so Scandalous! I can;t believe people don't love those signs.... I think it's hysterical ...all of it. I think I would have just had to say "Jeff, honey this is comin out a yer tip!" ...A peso for water...too funny!

Ate there a while back and found that the prices seemed high, the portions generous, but the food too heavy for my taste, I did notice a lot of signs and never could figure out why they wouldn't let two people sit in those very small booths.....but........the place was full of diners, so go figure. Charging for water just seems silly, but some places will only offer bottled water and charge for it. Different strokes, I guess.

Did anyone ask if the water was bottled? If so, I see nothing wrong with a charge of less than a penny American. I find Jeff hilarious and the food delicious. I'm not always in the mood for a filling meal but when I am Magana is my go to place. As for the signs, I found them pert and amusing, rather than rude...but then, I have that kind of sense of humor. There are many fine restaurants in the area so we can each chose the places that appeal to us. Magana appeals to me.

Jeff is a unique character. We long ago learned that if we wanted to eat happily in his restaurant we have to play by his rules. If you are pleasant, he is very pleasant. If you are the least bit unpleasant, he is very unpleasant. It's good to know this upfront so you can decide whether Magana is for you or not. We love the fish and chips and some of the other food so every occasionally we put on our pleasant faces and go on over for a Magana experience.

We ate at Cafe Magana a couple of days ago. I noticed he had a fried shrimp special. The menu insert described them as very large shrimp (prawns?), always sold by volume, but that the count is usually six per plate. If I recall, it was $150 pesos and included one side.

When Jeff (Geoff?) approached the table I looked him in the eye and said, "I want to try those fried shrimp. But could I possibly order a plate of four for $110 pesos?" I looked him in the eye, and he stared back. Then we both burst out laughing.

The shrimp were a delicious treat served with a really tasty, horseradishy-plus-slightly-tangy-sweet cocktail sauce. My partner ordered a small salad, plus three fish tacos. The fish tacos were enormously piled, and I think 18 pesos per taco.

I like Cafe Magana: the food, the owner and his sense of humor. I have never been charged for water.

I eat there all the time & if you don't "get" his Brit sense of humor you might think him rude but I'm quite sure if you're rude, you'll get it back in kind. He is NEVER rude to me & I've liked everything I've ordered. Sometimes the prices seem a little high but I get so much bang for the buck with the book exchanges & enjoy myself every time I'm there that I don't care.

If you don't like the way he runs his business, it's your choice whether to be a customer or not. I will continue to be.

We enjoy the place and have for 6 years. When the signs went up we read them and haven't thought about them since....don't even notice them anymore. We have our two regular orders, never varies, and since we aren't particularly chatty by nature we don't have much more interaction than greetings in,ordering and hastas out.

Oh good grief! Not again. Your petty complaints and puerile vituperations embarrass us all. If you don't like the restaurant, don't go. It is as simple as that. There are numerous choices of food and ambiance; I am sure you can find one to fit your palate. If you have no idea, try Bubba's. Hopefully, they will build a McDonalds soon and you will have a place to go and "have it your way."

Oh good grief! Not again. Your petty complaints and puerile vituperations embarrass us all. If you don't like the restaurant, don't go. It is as simple as that. There are numerous choices of food and ambiance; I am sure you can find one to fit your palate. If you have no idea, try Bubba's. Hopefully, they will build a McDonalds soon and you will have a place to go and "have it your way."

Ewww, harsh! Not nice to conclude that those who don't like a place would prefer McDonald's.

But I think we've had our pro-and-con say on the subject to last a while. . . .

Lexy

We had lunch there today and I do not get all the complaints, the fried shrimp and fried onions were good and not greasy, the ribs were good as well. The service was very good and the owner friendly. I went there for my husband because it is not the kind of food I like to eat very often but I thought it was a cute old fashion place.

By the way who goes to a restaurant and orders water? That I do not get. Drink your own water at home before you go and you wil save a peso or two if that is important. There is more than the cost of water in the cost of a glass of water.

You are using a glass that will have to be brought to you , picked up and washed so drink the water at home.

So they are signs everywhere big deal........

We had lunch there today and I do not get all the complaints, the fried shrimp and fried onions were good and not greasy, the ribs were good as well. The service was very good and the owner friendly. I went there for my husband because it is not the kind of food I like to eat very often but I thought it was a cute old fashion place.

By the way who goes to a restaurant and orders water? That I do not get. Drink your own water at home before you go and you wil save a peso or two if that is important. There is more than the cost of water in the cost of a glass of water.

You are using a glass that will have to be brought to you , picked up and washed so drink the water at home.

So they are signs everywhere big deal........

Not everyone likes or can have heavily sugar/carbonated drinks. If a restaurant can't afford to give out a glass of water, then they need to find a new line of work as this should have been calculated in operating costs. For another poster...my Brit hubby doesn't find the rudeness funny so don't lump all Brits together just because you want to excuse bad behavior by the owner.

Archived