Chapala.com Webboard

GPS for Mexico

BarbaraJo

I have a Garmin that came with Mexico, Canada & U.S. maps installed. It works extremely well in Mexico.

Yes, the Garmin works very well! Used it on my trip from NOB! Regardless of which model you buy you

can down load for a modest price the latest Mexico maps..

My Blackberry has GPS also I Phones do so perhaps you'd kill two birds with one stone if you also need a cell phone.

Thanks Amazon has many different prices and models. I am sure I will not want to buy the high end models. When you download the Mexican maps how is that done?

With a Garmin, you just plug your unit into your computer and follow the instructions. It's simple.

Or, you can buy a chip direct from Garmin and just plug it in.

I bought one of the cheapest Garmins a few years ago then bought the lifetime North American upgrades for less than $100 US. I plug the unit in and it automatically upgrades. No chips, no mailing anything just plug and go. It works well except in some cities here in Mx where lateral roads and overpasses seem to mess with it a bit. Overall I am happy with it.

The Garmin Nuvi 2360 LMT (4.3" screen) and Nuvi 2460 LMT (5" screen) come preloaded with US, Canada & Mexico maps. Both offer free lifetime map updates. No micro SD card needed. I go to www.thegpsstore.com

• 2 weeks later...

Before you buy one online, just call Garmin and ask them which models will allow you download a Mexico map...a friend of mine bought one, and it would not allow her to download Mexico...a call to Garmin confirmed what I am saying. She was able to go to Costco and got a Garmin with Mexico and the US all loaded on it...

Just purchased a Garmin nuvi 2555LM with North America maps and free lifetime upgrades. It worked flawlessly in San Antonio TX, to the border and through Mexico to home in La Floresta. I wish I had purchased one sooner and would have loved to have one in my TR182RG.

TioBob

Hi everybody,

I have a Garmin Nuvi and it absolutely mangles the Spanish pronunciations of street names. It's so bad I had to turn off the audio and just use the map. Does anybody else have this problem? Or, how did you get around it?

Thanks in advance

The pronunciation wasn’t a problem for me. Actually I found it amusing and somewhat entertaining. It allowed me to practice pronouncing the names correctly after a chuckle or two.

The accuracy is amazing, it didn’t send me down any one way streets the wrong way as some on this board have reported. I'm very pleased with the unit and look forward to using it in Guadalajara.

TioBob

I have a Garmin and downloaded the new MX map. Went to Joco yesterday and the map was off by a block or so in places. Finally got its act together about half way back to Ajijic. It was so bad that I cut the audio off.

I haven't been to Guad since the update

A friend had a GPS that couldn't find the way from Jocotopec to Puerto Vallarta via Ameca and Mascota. It would try to take us via Guadalajara from Chapala, then to PV on the toll road. It did know the other road existed, but was way off target. On the return trip, it ignored that road and, again, tried to take us via Guadalajara on the 'cuota'.

Archived