Chapala.com Webboard

80 Border Agents arrested for corruption, 100s more under investigation

Rastagel

When I saw this headline: "80 Border Agents arrested for corruption, 100s more under investigation" and read the accompaning article: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/42061290/ns/world_news-americas/ I had to say something! My rant follows. Corruption in the ... US?? That only happens in Mexico <sarcasm>. The US consumes all the drugs, supplies all the money and guns, and yet the mainstream media and the federal government are relentlessly and continuously 'warning' about the dangers of traveling to Mexico (read: Don't spend your money there, we need it here). The failed drug war gives thousands of jobs to police officers, border agents, prison employees, and weapon manufacturers, but punishes harshly small time drug consumers in the US and innocent Mexican citizens forced to live in the war zones in the border areas. If you are using illicit drugs, STOP consuming them now, you are fueling a horrific war and a false economy. If you can't stop using them, fight for legalization of at least marijuana, this would cut most of the profits from the drug trade, immediately making the narcos less powerful. Legalization and taxation would also make up for some of the lost police and prison jobs. Don't get me wrong, Mexico has plenty of work to do too (corruption, justice system, poverty, etc). But the US government is playing a complicit and major role in causing and prolonging the current narco struggles. Also, for the record, my family and I are not in any way endangered by the 'drug wars' here in Mexico. We are lucky to live in a part of the country where citizens and expats go about their daily lives as we always have, enjoying the great weather, food, music, drink, and culture. However, our businesses and economy are severely impacted by the misinformation and fear being spread and by the failed 'war on drugs' being employed by both the US and Mexican governments. RANT OVER. Enjoy your weekend. More Reading (US corruption regarding the 'drug wars'): Wachovia (now part of Wells Fargo) laundered BILLIONS of dollars of drug money: http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/apr/03/us-bank-mexico-drug-gangs US willingly watched heavy arms being illegaly exported into Mexico: http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/03/03/eveningnews/main20039031.shtml

When I saw this headline: "80 Border Agents arrested for corruption, 100s more under investigation" and read the accompaning article: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/42061290/ns/world_news-americas/ I had to say something! My rant follows. Corruption in the ... US?? That only happens in Mexico <sarcasm>. The US consumes all the drugs, supplies all the money and guns, and yet the mainstream media and the federal government are relentlessly and continuously 'warning' about the dangers of traveling to Mexico (read: Don't spend your money there, we need it here). The failed drug war gives thousands of jobs to police officers, border agents, prison employees, and weapon manufacturers, but punishes harshly small time drug consumers in the US and innocent Mexican citizens forced to live in the war zones in the border areas. If you are using illicit drugs, STOP consuming them now, you are fueling a horrific war and a false economy. If you can't stop using them, fight for legalization of at least marijuana, this would cut most of the profits from the drug trade, immediately making the narcos less powerful. Legalization and taxation would also make up for some of the lost police and prison jobs. Don't get me wrong, Mexico has plenty of work to do too (corruption, justice system, poverty, etc). But the US government is playing a complicit and major role in causing and prolonging the current narco struggles. Also, for the record, my family and I are not in any way endangered by the 'drug wars' here in Mexico. We are lucky to live in a part of the country where citizens and expats go about their daily lives as we always have, enjoying the great weather, food, music, drink, and culture. However, our businesses and economy are severely impacted by the misinformation and fear being spread and by the failed 'war on drugs' being employed by both the US and Mexican governments. RANT OVER. Enjoy your weekend. More Reading (US corruption regarding the 'drug wars'): Wachovia (now part of Wells Fargo) laundered BILLIONS of dollars of drug money: http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/apr/03/us-bank-mexico-drug-gangs US willingly watched heavy arms being illegaly exported into Mexico: http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/03/03/eveningnews/main20039031.shtml

Why in the world would anyone be surprised at the headline? With the amount of money floating around in the illegal trade, it is inevitable that law enforcement agents on both sides of the border will be compromised. It is just too lucrative and tempting. You are absolutely right, the answer is legalization, regulation, taxation, and education/rehabilitation. I would advocate it for all drugs, not just marijuana because none of this makes any sense. This is a public health problem, not a criminal problem. Criminalizing drugs just raises their prices and makes them an easy way to make lots of money. The whole thing is so insane. But insanity is the nature of US politics these days. Sigh...

While I agree the problem is the profits from the US drug consumption and legalization is probably the only answer that article says 80 border officers were arrested OVER THE LAST 5 YEARS... not some sweeping raid of a corrupt border patrol system that just happened. Comparing corruption in the US with what is going on here is ludicrous. With all the billions of dollars in profits available it is amazing to me that more border patrol people aren't corrupted.

the solution: change the wages that the federal police officers earn per month..... and or , provide them with housing, education for their children, gas vouchers, electricity vouchers..

mexican wages are one of the problems that causes people to be criminals and even if they have a job, they are still under financial chaos to provide for their families.

I agree, don't blame you for ranting. What's the answer? We can't get anything done in the US!

Mexican cartels corrupting more US border officials? This headline says alot, the Mexicans are corrupting our border officials? Makes it sound like it is the Mexicans fault and not the crooked border officials. No one is corrupted by someone or some group. They choose to be corrupted.

Sometimes that 'choice' is between living or dying, or even going home to find your wife and children dead or gone without a trace. That can be convincing 'corrupting'. The cartels employ 'sicarios' on both sides of the border and throughout both countries.

the solution: change the wages that the federal police officers earn per month..... and or , provide them with housing, education for their children, gas vouchers, electricity vouchers..

mexican wages are one of the problems that causes people to be criminals and even if they have a job, they are still under financial chaos to provide for their families.

I heard my gardener makes more per hour than the local policeman. There's something very wrong with that picture.

Mexican cartels corrupting more US border officials? This headline says alot, the Mexicans are corrupting our border officials? Makes it sound like it is the Mexicans fault and not the crooked border officials. No one is corrupted by someone or some group. They choose to be corrupted.

No, this is not necessarily true. Members of certain cartels have tapped young people, families, to join them. If they don't, well, it's sort of like "off with their heads." Some choice, eh?

No, this is not necessarily true. Members of certain cartels have tapped young people, families, to join them. If they don't, well, it's sort of like "off with their heads." Some choice, eh?

I do agree. The pressure is on the young Mexicans to do things they may not want to do but are

told to do or else. Sad situation. What are the answers ?

Decriminalizing sounds like a good solution. But, if faced with the loss of their livelihood, what will the cartels do? Well, find other easy ways to make money, of course. Extortion, kidnapping, fraud, etc. would all go up.

I would propose lowering the jail terms for posession of drugs. Make them pay fines, confiscate their possesions instead. But increase jail penalties for possession of guns, however. That could possibly lead to lesser violence, which, in the end is the real problem.

The most important thing is for the US to invest in education and treatment. Reducing demand gradually is the only thing that can reduce the cartels power.

Pete

I can't see that as a "solution," because of this quotation from the article:

"It was amazing to us to find out that Margarita Crispin received $5 million for her services to allow loads of marijuana to come through her checkpoint along the border."

Federal police officers could have all the benefits mentioned and enjoy a reasonably good life; but when confronted with the choice of taking $5,000,000 USD (even without the threat to their spouses and children), who would be able to say no?

Drying up the demand for drugs is the only way to stop the madness. Yes, I know it's pie-in-the-sky dreaming; I have no idea if, when, or how that will ever happen.

We are talking about a major business and the border patrol are mere pion's in the scale of things. For instance, around 2007 Wachovia was caught laundering $380 Billion of drug related money. They received a minor fine of $150 million and it was squashed in the Media. A year later they received $25 billion of taxpayers money as part of the bailout.

So 5 years later you can be sure the money is still flowing freely from the US to the Cartels. Obviously there is no attempt by the US to stop this money flow which if stopped would quickly bring the industry to a halt. So my conclusion is that there are too many hands in the pot and this extends to the highest levels in the US.

Then there are the hundreds of tons of drugs going Northwards. Are you telling me that these are sneaked through every day in little plastic bags. No of course not. The drugs are probably containerized and admitted freely through the border and sea ports by paid off groups of people on the drug companies payroll.

In both cases nothing ever happens because people in high positions just make sure it keeps running sweetly.

Most conservative estimates are the Mexican cartels are netting 40 to 50 billion dollars a year... that's Bill Gates or Warren Buffets lifetime net worth EVERY YEAR. There is no way to stop that amount of illegal profit from corrupting any system. US politicians take some of that money as campaign contributions, as was mentioned above banks take a percentage to launder money and you can be pretty sure there are lots of drug enforcement folks who have Swiss accounts or mattresses stuffed with cash as you read this. The only way to deal with this problem is to take the income profits out of the system and since stopping human beings from getting high has never been done successfully in the past it seems safe to assume the only answer to taking the profit out for criminals is to give to corporations and legalize drugs... Continuing to make the most violent and dangerous people in north America also the richest and most powerful is just dumb, change public policy and stop it so police and the legal system can start the process of getting those folks out of society. It is impossible to expect anyone to beat criminals with that kind of ongoing revenue stream.

Which conservative estimates? I have never seen any estimates that Mexican DTO's net profits are more than a fraction of that amount. Big money, plenty to corrupt the system certainly, however no where near those numbers...

ref; The US Government estimates that Mexican traffickers receive more than $13.8 billion in

revenue from illicit-drug sales to the United States; 61 percent of that revenue, or $8.5 billion,

is directly tied to marijuana export sales. Marijuana has become the primary revenue

source for Mexican drug trafficking organizations, eclipsing the potential revenue from

cocaine, heroin, and methamphetamine combined. . . .

This is one reference of many available, many of which come to wildly varying conclusions, none of which suggest a total Mexican DTO income of more than $25 billion/year, perhaps 30-40% of which may be profit. By your figures, there should be several cartel leaders with fortunes of many billions. That does not seem to be the case.

http://www.rand.org/pubs/occasional_papers/2010/RAND_OP325.pdf

Archived