Chapala.com Webboard

transfer vehicle ownership,American plated car

Florina

We have both bought and sold this way. When buying I send the title in ahead of time to South Dakota and re-title in my name and wait for the plates and title to arrive at my mail box ( USA address), then zip up to the border with a letter from the seller in Spanish allowing me to drive the car, have the old importador canceled (saving the receipt to give to the seller), then put the new plates on in the parking lot and get my own importador. I purchase insurance prior to leaving for the border. Then we shop in Laredo, returning the next day or two...

What would the process be for selling/transferring a U.S. plated vehicle (here in Mexico under the owner's FM3) to a Mexican citizen who lives here? Would this still involve a trip to the border by both parties to complete the transfer?

You cannot legally sell a foreign plated car in Mexico. You promised not to do so when you brought the vehicle into the country with a temporary permit.

What you can do under some conditions which seem to change often, is to legalize vehicles, register them in a state of Mexico and then sell them. Right now I understand that to import a car or truck and to nationalize it, the car can be no older than 10 years old.

There are some exceptions. Persons who become permanent residents (I read this some time ago) can have their older foreign plated vehicle nationalized.

I would like more discussion of the topic from people with recent experience as I am considering nationalizing my older car now that I have an FM2 residency permit.

What would the process be for selling/transferring a U.S. plated vehicle (here in Mexico under the owner's FM3) to a Mexican citizen who lives here? Would this still involve a trip to the border by both parties to complete the transfer?

Yes. By the terms of your Temporary Import Permit you agreed to take the vehicle back out of Mexico. Do that first then you can sell it to whoever you wish.

If they don't amend or change the law, starting in 2011 you'll be able to nationalize cars from 2003 and older.

If they don't amend or change the law, starting in 2011 you'll be able to nationalize cars from 2003 and older.

Spencer,

We may do this next year. Is this something that your office could help with?

US, Canada or Mexico.....all NAFTA countries. For example: You might own a PT Cruiser, all of which were made in Mexico, but if you purchased it in the USA or Canada, you would still have to nationalize it for permanent importation into Mexico, since it had originally been exported.

US, Canada or Mexico.....all NAFTA countries. For example: You might own a PT Cruiser, all of which were made in Mexico, but if you purchased it in the USA or Canada, you would still have to nationalize it for permanent importation into Mexico, since it had originally been exported.

I know this is the law, but does anyone know why the government hasn't allowed importation of vehicles from non-NAFTA countries?

I know this is the law, but does anyone know why the government hasn't allowed importation of vehicles from non-NAFTA countries?

Car dealers have lobbyists. Nafta rules were negotiated above their pay grade.

Archived