Chapala.com Webboard

Spam email solicitations from LCS directory listings

Kevin K

I'm curious if others have experienced a minor "wave" of emails lately advertising various services from local Mexican-run firms. Since we don't hand out our email address often it took awhile for me to realize these are coming from people using the LCS directory. I just hope LCS isn't facilitating this by selling or otherwise offering lists of member's emails to local businesses. Meanwhile, something to consider deleting from the directory when one renews one's membership.

How do you know the source? I ask as this has come up several times in the past and Howard has stated (in this forum, as I recall) that LCS does not provide email addresses to others. Further, we have not been subject to this kind of spam and our addressvhas always been in the directory.

I have received a couple of spams from local businesses, but not very many. I don't think LCS sells the lists, the businesses probably get access to "the book" and do it on their own.

I'm curious if others have experienced a minor "wave" of emails lately advertising various services from local Mexican-run firms. Since we don't hand out our email address often it took awhile for me to realize these are coming from people using the LCS directory. I just hope LCS isn't facilitating this by selling or otherwise offering lists of member's emails to local businesses. Meanwhile, something to consider deleting from the directory when one renews one's membership.

LCS does not sell their e-mail names. It is being done by hand from the directory. As Tobyjug said anyone can do it and it is being done. Some members are not listing their e-mail which you can do- however you will not be getting legitimate notices from LCS then. I am also getting a few spam e-mails- I just delete.

maw

• 4 weeks later...

It is true that LCS does not send the legit emails to those not listed in the directory.

Why? I can't imagine that it would be hard to have new members or renewing members check a box saying they do not want their email/phone number listed but DO WANT TO RECEIVE the LCS newsletter. This is a real DUH. :rolleyes:

It is true that LCS does not send the legit emails to those not listed in the directory.

Why? I can't imagine that it would be hard to have new members or renewing members check a box saying they do not want their email/phone number listed but DO WANT TO RECEIVE the LCS newsletter. This is a real DUH. :rolleyes:

Not listed in the directory by choice; but get the newsletter emails regularly.

If someone in the LCS is interested in some methods / software that can manage their mailing lists in the way suggested above, shoot me a PM. I have several websites with membership lists and can give you some suggestions for solutions.

Some of these are free software systems and some would cost the LCS money (the highest price being $20 usd per month). All are online systems, easy to implement and largely self maintaining.

Archived