Chapala.com Webboard

Mexican Restaurant - Los 5 Potrillos

fran

A group of 10 of us would like to try this restaurant for lunch later on this week. Is Los Potrillos able to accommodate our group so we can sit together?

Should we call to make a resesrvation first and, if so, does anyone have the phone number for the restaurant?

Thank,

Happy Canuck

A group of 10 of us would like to try this restaurant for lunch later on this week. Is Los Potrillos able to accommodate our group so we can sit together?

Should we call to make a resesrvation first and, if so, does anyone have the phone number for the restaurant?

Thank,

Happy Canuck

They can easily accommodate you and you will not require a reservation.

Guest knownothing

Hey Happy,

Have heard wonderful things about this place. Do you have any idea if they are offering Turkey dinner on the 25th? I am guessing that they are not, but would love to know. Have a group of ten looking for someplace new and different to go. If you can check this out, I would be eternally grateful to you for at least 24 hours.

Thanks

It is large and has several long tables. However, it is inside and you won't be able to smoke. I doubt they will offer Turkey; it is a Mexican restaurant.....a rare thing at Lakeside. The food is very good and Pancho is a great host.

5 Potrillos is, as RV said, real tipica Mexican food. They have a lovely Sopa Azteca, and several interesting fish dishes. We went last night, and I had a sort of chicken fajita thingy that was so big it is going to make one dinner and two lunches. With fresh home-made tortillas! It cost a whopping 80 pesos. Well worth a short drive.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest knownothing

Six of us went this afternoon. We were unanimous. We all thought the food was exceptional, not just good. And we all had different menu items and tasted each others. We loved everything. Portions are huge by lakeside standards and we cannot figure out how they stay in business with such low prices. The arrachera was absolutely melt in your mouth. The best I have had down here in four years and I am an arrachera lover, even if I misspelled it. I love Viva Mexico in SJC and I love Augustin, the owner, an incredible and good man. Prices are great, food is delicious, portions are small. If you like Viva Mexico in SJC, you will fall in love with Lost Cinco Potrillos. And the drive is about the same from Ajijic. Ten minutes mas o menos.

The music at Los Potrillos has moved from Sunday to Saturday, which was why we went today, Saturday. The owner offered to sing for us, gave it a shot and we gave him ten centavos to stop. We all laughed. If you love real Mexican food, in a real Mexican restaurant, in a real Mexican village, with real Mexicans as customers, do not miss it.

5 Potrillos is, as RV said, real tipica Mexican food. They have a lovely Sopa Azteca, and several interesting fish dishes. We went last night, and I had a sort of chicken fajita thingy that was so big it is going to make one dinner and two lunches. With fresh home-made tortillas! It cost a whopping 80 pesos. Well worth a short drive.

I was with Peruvian friends who fell in love with the Mexican sopa Azteca and had to try it everywhere we went.

We tasted a lot of different styles all over the place but we found their sopa Azteca very bland. It was a delicate vegetable soup but nothing to do with the various sopa Aztecas we have had. The rest of the meal was ok nothing to brag about nothing to complain about.

I would not go out of my way to go back for the food. The surroundings are pleasant and the waiters very friendly, the prices are reasonable so if you go for the atmosphere or the price it is ok for the food, I would rather go other places.

The fair was a lot of fun.

• 9 years later...
26 minutes ago, texmextwo said:

For large groups, calling in advance might be helpful as one waitress usually handles lunch...

Uh, this thread is 10 years old. 

This place used to be a must stop for us on the way back from the airport with visitors in tow.  We'd have a great meal and then take them around to see the murals in the church and on the plaza.  Really sad to see it go south after Pancho's very unfortunate demise.

Anyone been there lately?

Yes, this is a very old thread but maybe a good way to get an update on what used to be a big favorite around here. 

Readers take note.

We always enjoyed stopping for a meal there.  We hope that the family can succeed and suggest that some of you get together, make a reservation and help them to continue.

Good memories.

One of the problems is they just don't have much food. So item after item on the menu as you go down it.. unavailable, including drinks. They don't seem to be able to pay suppliers.

It doesn't get the crowds on the weekends like it did years ago, so there just isn't much left. My friends in Ixtlahuacán who were determined to support the family as long as possible finally had to move on to other restaurants in the town.  Mainly lack of food and uncaring service.

Archived