Jump to content
Chapala.com Webboard


  • Content count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

9 Neutral

About southland

  • Rank

Contact Methods

  • Yahoo

Profile Information

  • Gender

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

  1. Any recommendations for basic tune-up locally, carburetor adjustment, that kind of stuff? Where in Riberas? Where in La Floresta? Where in Chapala? I've heard somebody works on motorcycles in each of these areas. Small motorcycle under 400 cc. Thanks.
  2. Spencer, Would you mind giving the names of the cross streets of the shop in Providencia? Or any other information. Thank you.
  3. I read recently a similar thought to Kiko's reply. Avoid any legal process if you have to shoot and kill an intruder. Take them out and bury them somewhere. It will save you grief, time, expense, retribution, and just avoid the difficult judicial process, especially made more difficult for a foreigner. My gun is reliable I hope. Seems in good condition. Took 3.5 hours of waiting before my name was called at the Army Base. Glad I am now legal for defense inside my home, which is the gun's only purpose. I have heard I can take my gun's permit to a place in downtown Guad to purchase bullets for it. I also have heard a place in Jocotepec sells bullets. Does anyone know the place in Joco? Its name and location approximately? Last of all, I would like a gunsmith to go through the gun and look for weak spots. I suppose gunsmiths are not abundant in Mexico. I read where only 15,000 handguns are in MX and 1/3 are legally registered. Both numbers seem low for a country of 120 million people. Thank you.
  4. Graham Greene: The Power and The Glory.
  5. One might conceive the idea that setting up a process to register a gun is designed to permit that person to have a gun, but also to identify primarily that person as a gun owner, a known admission, a known responsibility for that piece, and a known piece of information should a gun ever be used in self defense, that it was registered in good faith. A serial number is not the only way to identify a particular gun. The matchup to the gun in possession can be accomplished by other means, both photographic and verbal descriptions, not to mention post-use ballistics. Perhaps the laughs come easy, or perhaps no question is a stupid question. I own a machete that is sharp enough that it can take a man's head off in one swing. Perhaps taking that to be registered and admitted to be in my possession would also show good faith to law enforcement. Or maybe I should engrave a serial number on it first.
  6. it back legally to Jalisco to register it here where I live. What paperwork do I need to have to let me drive the purchased car? Do I do anything there in Vera Cruz or Chiapas at a govt office before leaving that state? I am Residente Permanente. Does this require visiting an attorney here first to get paperwork to take with me? Anyone know what the approximate charge would be for legal paper to drive the car here to register it here? I would get original factura from Mexican owner who has been the sole owner, and any other paperwork he has on his registration of the car from his state of Mexico. Vera Cruz or Chiapas state. Thanks.
  7. My question is what if the pistol has no serial number. The ol' Saturday Night Special I think these revolvers are called. Would the army outpost north of Guad still give me a registration for it so it would be legal. Many thanks.
  8. southland

    Patio Umbrellas That Tilt

    Thank you all for the suggestions. I am even looking into "toldos" or awnings which may be more stable for my situation because the area is second story balcony, exposed a lot to wind. Search continues.
  9. Have read at least five threads on Chapala.com about Sunbrella fabric, and know about Miguel, Oscar, Carmen and Octavio. (This is just to save posters mentioning the above sources unless they believe one of them is the best source for a tilt umbrella.) Appears having a retractable awning installed is 3x or more expensive than a free-standing umbrella, although I really like the idea of having the cover out of the way at times. Anyone know who sells free-standing tilt-able umbrellas of 9 feet diameter? I can get a base made by an iron shop to keep it stable. Many thanks. I've already been to several shops along the lake side of Riberas carretera but did not see tilting umbrellas. Thanks again.
  10. southland

    Renewing of Car Tax 2018

    Secondly, if you are agile with Spanish and with the government website mentioned above, you can try to obtain an RFC# on your own from that website.
  11. southland

    Renewing of Car Tax 2018

    Be a bit careful on RFC#. My experience is an RFC# blank spot on a form often gets filled in with an anonymous RFC# by the vendor, sometimes even sometimes by government agency personnel. However, if an RFC# personally assigned to you is truly required (often times they waive the requirement), then make sure you have obtained one. Obviously, Spencer knows all about this past practice, but more and more now I am running into transaction situations where I am asked for not just CURP but for an RFC#. I understand it to be a tax I.D. It is a registration with sat.gob.mx or in other words Hacienda, the IRS of Mexico. If your name does not associate with the RFC# on the Mexico government website, then past vendors may have been using any old anonymous RFC#. Spencer's office can get you an RFC# assigned to your name. Get it printed out from the government website, and for future demands or transactions, you have your proof of a true authentic RFC# assigned only to you. Sorry to belabor this explanation, but it might save people time and frustration if they really do not have their own RFC# and at the last minute are asked for it along with CURP#.
  12. These transfers by wire will be in pesos ALREADY from a foreign exchange currency brokerage account. In other words, I buy pesos at spot and when I want to send a month of pesos to cover living expenses, I will wire transfer say, 25,000 pesos at a time. Therefore, the incoming bank's rate of exchange is not involved. The money comes in as a peso and stays a peso. What I'm after is which bank charges the least to receive a wire transfer in pesos, and MULTIVA, from the discussion above, sounds as though they charge the least. I am trying to keep the exchange rate discussions out of the thread and the ATM debit card discussions out of the thread. I really just want suggestions for a bank that is lenient on wire transfers coming in already in pesos. If I do ten wire transfers a year, and banks charge 600 pesos per incoming wire, that is not an attractive bank for me. Thanks for all the ideas.
  13. (No info needed about ATM Debit Cards unless you wish to respond to another poster. I have that ATM debit area covered.) What I am after: To open a bank account here to receive perhaps four to six incoming wire transfers per year at low fee, or at a very minimal wire transfer charge. I have heard Intercam might charge the least. These incoming wires could be already in Mexican pesos or U.S. dollars. I am just after the wire transfer fee information. Thank you.
  14. I have to take two cellphones with me up to the States. Will MX let me back in through Customs with two cellphones? I just have one carry-on bag so everything will be easily seen. Thanks.
  15. Thank you KBLEITCH. I found out the same info by asking around with contractors in Ajijic. I drove over there to Joco but the lady was gone to lunch and often does not come back after lunch. So, go in the morning. Thanks again. BTW, I do believe adoquin is the correct word (no biggie), at least my Internet searches of adoquin produce the product I'm looking for.