Long before the Spaniards arrived, the Cazcanes
and the Cocas lived in what is now known as San Antonio Tlayacapan, and
both were dedicated to agriculture and hunting. In 1523, Cortez sent men
to control the area. By 1539, both tribes had surrendered to the Spaniards,
who then built monasteries as refuges for the natives.
Thus, the first Catholic church in Lakeside was built in this spot by the Franciscans. All that remains today is the tower, preserved in the patio of the primary school, the rest having been destroyed by time. A new church was built, still in use today.
San Antonio Tlayacapan is located between Chapala and Ajijic.
|Top||Home||CBChapala Realty||Ojo del Lago||Street Map|